Your question

Should I start using Linux?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Linux
  • Product
Last response: in Open Source Software
October 19, 2009 8:33:21 PM

I'm running the windows 7 rc and I don't really want to pay $200 for the full version if the upgrade I ordered for $60 doesn't work. I'm a bit of a gamer but also use the internet quite bit. I don't know much about linux though (other than it's free :pt1cable:  ) so what are your thoughts on the OS?

More about : start linux

October 19, 2009 9:48:29 PM

nonxcarbonx said:
I'm running the windows 7 rc and I don't really want to pay $200 for the full version if the upgrade I ordered for $60 doesn't work. I'm a bit of a gamer but also use the internet quite bit. I don't know much about linux though (other than it's free :pt1cable:  ) so what are your thoughts on the OS?

I don't think you can live without Windows if you are serious about gaming.

I have been a Linux user for a long time but still dual-boot Windows on most of my machines (my office PC is an exception, it is a dedicated Linux machine). I believe Linux has a competitive advantage in some areas (and I'm only talking about Linux on the *desktop* here, not about servers): I believe it's best for software development and for scientific work. Also, it is often a very reasonable choice for old and/or low-power machines. Under some conditions (e.g., you don't need Blu-Ray), it might be a good OS for a HTPC.

OTOH, many great FOSS is available on Windows nowadays. Eclipse, OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Songbird, InfraRecorder, HandBrake, gcc, ClamAV, Audacity, XBMC, etc., etc. The availability of good FOSS on Windows is the primary reason I haven't dumped Windows.

Since you post this question, I assume you are more familiar with Windows. Is it worth to learn Linux? Wrt cost? Only if the cost of the Windows OS is really high for you. Wrt apps? A recent review on Anandtech concluded that the apps are good but there are no obvious "killer" apps. For fun? Yes, if you want to learn more about how a computer functions. Yes, if the click-orgies on Windows bother you and you think you can become friends with the terminal. Yes, if it bothers you that you cannot make some changes under the hood of Windows since it is proprietary. Yes, if you can imagine to enjoy being part of a active, growing, and somewhat nerdy community of Linux users.
a b 5 Linux
October 19, 2009 10:20:13 PM

I'd try it out via a live CD or something similar. Check out Wine's compatibility database to see if the games you play work or not :)  It can't hurt to be familiar with another OS :) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 19, 2009 10:41:38 PM

I agree. If you are a hardcore gamer, Windows is the only option. I built a system about 6 months ago just to run Crysis at max settings :D . After that, I switched this system to ONLY Linux (Fedora). I had been using Linux(Fedora) on my laptop for about a year, but I didn't care that much about gaming and rather have an OS that works way better than Windows. (When I say OS I don't mean apps, drivers, etc. I mean internally: kernel, filesystem, hierarchy of files, modules...)

I would say yes... if you want to learn about how computers work behind the scenes and/or you are a curious and adventuresome computer user :D .

The Windows 7 upgrade should work though... even as a clean install. I could buy for 35 dollars (student price), but there is really NO reason in my opinion. Plus, 64bit support in Windows is mediocre. Linux has way better support for 64 bit architecture.
a b 5 Linux
October 20, 2009 1:18:15 AM

timmywear said:
I agree. If you are a hardcore gamer, Windows is the only option. I built a system about 6 months ago just to run Crysis at max settings :D . After that, I switched this system to ONLY Linux (Fedora). I had been using Linux(Fedora) on my laptop for about a year, but I didn't care that much about gaming and rather have an OS that works way better than Windows. (When I say OS I don't mean apps, drivers, etc. I mean internally: kernel, filesystem, hierarchy of files, modules...)

I would say yes... if you want to learn about how computers work behind the scenes and/or you are a curious and adventuresome computer user :D .

The Windows 7 upgrade should work though... even as a clean install. I could buy for 35 dollars (student price), but there is really NO reason in my opinion. Plus, 64bit support in Windows is mediocre. Linux has way better support for 64 bit architecture.

You could always just buy me the discounted upgrade for my Winbloze rig :D 

How I see it, there's really no reason to use Winbloze for anything other than gaming, as *nix is superior in every other facet. I'm awaiting a time where game developers realize that *nix-native installers are a good idea. Only then will our population undergo a substantial growth.
October 20, 2009 3:08:35 AM

LOL. Hmm... That would not be a bad deal. I would want some royalties though.
a b 5 Linux
October 20, 2009 3:23:08 AM

timmywear said:
LOL. Hmm... That would not be a bad deal. I would want some royalties though.

Could be arranged ;) 
October 22, 2009 9:46:26 AM

@OP, Ages-old answer:
dual boot.
October 23, 2009 8:05:25 PM

If your in college, you can get win7 HP for just $30.http://windows7.digitalriver.com/
I'd go with both win7 and linux, because if you say you use alot of internet you probably might have gone through alot of trojan problems like every Win users. And for the moment Linux is quite safe from these annoyances. But you shouldn't leave win7 because WINE doesn't work well with all windows games.
My ultimate recomendation is dual-boot Win7+Ubuntu 9.04 or Fedora, these linux distros are easiest.
a b 5 Linux
October 23, 2009 8:11:42 PM

Or save yourself so much more time. Run Linux on the PC and games on a PS3*

*although sony are now as evil in MS in my book.
October 24, 2009 3:12:16 AM

I'm a gamer and game on Linux for some time now. It runs virtually all games, the question is speed.

And forget it if you don't have the proper hardware. You can't game without problems if you've got an ATi/AMD videocard for example, cause their drivers still suck. If you got nVidia, you've got a decent chance of getting it working.

The good thing of Wine is, once you get it working it'll always work. You can backup the .wine directory and move it to other computers and it'll run like its the same pc. That's because the .wine directory also includes all registery information, DLL files and what not. I have a separate .wine for each game, and only have to install once. Some games are on my network drive, so i can run them from all my linux pcs. And it works. :) 

You do need to look at the Wine AppDB pages for the game you want to play, since not all games install and work out of the box. Though the list is growing, and almost all games can be made to work after some tweaks/adjustments, described on their AppDB page. A good start: http://appdb.winehq.org
October 24, 2009 3:44:39 AM

Pyroflea said:
Could be arranged ;) 

So are you serious?
October 24, 2009 2:26:43 PM

nonxcarbonx said:

Linux is great, unless you are a hard core gamer. I'm pretty sure the upgrade works for the release candidate, but if not, you should definitely get a full version of Windows 7. However, there is a way to "mooch" off of the RC. You could set your BIOS clock back, however, I have never tried this myself. If you really do want to try linux, I suggest a dual boot with Ubuntu.
November 5, 2009 7:00:33 PM

I agree with jasperjones and audiovoodoo. Linux is very good for your desktop, and can play some PC games, but just use the PS3 for the other games. Also Linux is extremely adaptable and you can easily increase the storage capacity to very high. You say you're a bit of a gamer, but not hardcore, so Linux should be just fine. Personally I love it, but I play all my games on console, not PC.
a b 5 Linux
November 9, 2009 11:57:35 AM

Well you the OP did post in the Linux section, what'd the expected answer be?