Delete Ubuntu 9 04

nikaawa

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I need XP on my laptop for when I travel. I mistakenly installed Ubuntu 9.04 completely , as on one of my desktop computers, which is just fine there. However I want to install XP on the laptop and no can. It can only go so far then gives me notice. "That to go farther may damage the computer." I want to delete Ubuntu, so that I can install XP and do my work when I travel. Thanks.

nikaawa

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
None of that. It just will not boot any farther, because "it may damage my computer." It will not boot. It stops there. Fini, Kaput, Nada.
I have no data, no programs, I have cleaned them out., only UBuntu on the computer. That is all I want to delete and it won't let me so I can install XP. Thanks.

yang925

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
What do you mean delete Ubuntu? You don't usauly "Delete" an operating system (Windows or Linux, although to be fare most people dont accidentally install one either.) However, to effectively delete it boot up the windows disk and go to install and you should see an unrecognized partition. Delete it. If you cant Try GParted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) Download the live CD boot up and delete the partition. Also what error message are you getting exactly? It sounds like a BSOD. Are you seeing like 0x000007B. Write it down.

nikaawa

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
This is as per usual. They quibble on the terminology. I want Ubuntu out so that I can get XP in. I understand that it is very difficult to understand by geeks. "Just boot up the the windows disk, tra la la. Ha! I cannot do that because it tells me that I cannot do that. Dumb Dodos.
Does anyone out there understand what I am trying to do. Please, somebody.....

yang925

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Insulting people is not the way to go, i guarantee it. Now you didn't write it down. So lets try again write it down! we can't help with no information. Don't blame us. You did that to your computer.

Anyway, Sounds like a computability issue maybe you need controller drivers. What model computer do you have: ex. dell Optiplex GX620.
Also just to confirm the blatant.
Did it ever have XP on it.
Did you ever install XP on it?
Is the Install Disk your using in good condition.
What service pack is the disk your using.
And exactly when do you get this error? Ex. The disk says loading the starting windows. After that It blue screens. Or I make it to part where it says installing the goes to a blue screen that says .....

nikaawa

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I agree, do not insult. However. Somebody over there is giving me a hard time. The XP on it before or after, disk in good condition, Of course, I would know wouldn't I? What service pack?
Ok. here goes. I start Ubuntu, and press F2 to get on CD. I restart the computer and Window XP comes on, then goes through a whole series for what seems like loading. Then a big screen that informs me that It cannot go any farther. "It may damage my computer" I should geek this and geek that. from Ubuntu. I don't even know what they are talking about.
I do not have an data, or programs on the computer. I removed those long ago. All that is on the computer is Ubuntu. I want it out and XP in.. But it seems to be very difficult to understand. by the ones that are supposed to know. Don't they have something that completely formats the disk so that I can install XP?

yang925

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

I understand your frustration. To help you I may have to ask you a few questions. If you could help out by answering as calmly and as best as you can. I will also do my best to explain where I am headed with things and why I am asking.

Yes we can completely format that disk but I doubt that will help in this case. They Problem I am betting is there is that It doesn't "see" the hard drive because it dosn't have the "drivers". So if you could look on the front of the machine and tell us is it a dell or an HP? Is there markings like pavillion or optiplex? This type of identification would be on the front of the tower, or big box. The CD you using were did it come from ? Did you get it with the computer? What is it labeled? It may say Windows XP Profressional Reinstalation Disk . Service Pack 2
Finding out what model of computer exactly will let us find out what drivers if at all you need drivers. Now from your last post it was slightly unclear to me ? Have you personally ever installed Windows XP on the Machine or did it just come with Windows?

nikaawa

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
The machine is a laptop, Acer Aspire. It came with Windows Vista and I in error installed Ubuntu on it completely. I wanted to install XP so I sent for a disk and received two disks. One with XP and the other with Service Pack 2. Then Acer sent me a recovery disk (Vista) and a regular install disk. All paid for. Which ever one I use will give me the same screen. It will go no farther because "it may damage my computer." And it follows with geek this and geek that. I know, I know, I may have to donate it to the Salvation Army or something.

yang925

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Is there a number near the Acer Aspire? Its sounds definetly like a "driver" issue. The machine was intended for Vista. Not all vista machines "downgrade" ( or go to XP ) very nicely. Some Cannot be done, others take some effort. Hopefully we can get XP on this for you although there is a small potential that you may have to settle for Vista. If you could get the number of acer aspire it is I can link you to the drivers, and potentially walk you though whats called slip streaming a disk. or creating a driver disk. Either of these methods will probably lead to XP Installing correctly although I will not garenetee it. I will have to look it up based on the model number. This number will be located the bottem of the laptop or maybe near the keyboard or screen. This number will be essential.

Also did you get the disk from Acer, specifically made for you model laptop? Or did you get them somewhere else?

nikaawa

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
The number is the 3690 series. In another place it also has next to it 2970. I have two desktop computers. One with XP and I publish my newsletter. I use Pagemaker, Print shop and photoshop. On Vista it is not as easy but doable, and I planned on using it when I ride the bus to Honolulu, maybe once a week. The other computer has Ubuntu, and I have my fast internet connection and it does not tie up my phone. I use it to publish my blogs. More or less what the new Chrome by Google will do.

I'm not sure this is the expected result. As for deleting Ubuntu, Windows can do it, no sweat - in fact, you can't remove Ubuntu from within Ubuntu without major hassle.

Now, if I understand correctly, you have a recovery disk from Acer, and a Windows XP install (not recovery) disk. I'll go with the install disk, since recovery disks are more often than not crap, and Acer's just plain don't work.

Boot from the Windows XP CD. You should get a text-mode, white-on-blue install screen (if you aren't then it's not a Windows install disk, it's probably another recovery disk). Follow the instructions until it asks you where you want to install it; it should then detail your hard disk's partition (2 or 3 of them, listed as 'unknown'). Delete them (if I remember correctly, you need to select them with the keyboard's arrows, then press D, and confirm). Then, once the drive has only free space, press Enter: the installer will create a partition that fills up the disk, and asks you to format it. Do a fast NTFS format, the system will then copy files, reboot. and finish its stuff.

Good luck locating the drivers, though.

yang925

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Mitch074 , he has tried that he says with no look. What we want to do i bet is slipstream a disk with all mass storage and chipset drivers along with SP3. SP2 tends to have issues with raid controllers. After this he should be able boot up and install.

So nikaawa, In order to make your disk work we are going to go through a process called slipstreaming. In order to make this incredible simple we will use nLite:
http://home.midmaine.com/~nlite/nlite/nLite-1.4.9.1.installer.exe

Also here a "drivers" we will add.
http://downloads.driverpacks.net/xp/x86/DP_Chipset_wnt5_x86-32_902.7z
http://downloads.driverpacks.net/xp/x86/DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_901.7z

These drivers are "compacted" in order to make them normal we will need 7zip.
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z465.exe (unless you have your prefered utility)

And finally Service Pack 3: (on the below you will have to press the download button)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

In a minute, I will post the steps to slipstream.

yang925

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Here is a "guide" (more of a direction) for slipstreaming. Sorry you have to forgive me for not having the software in front of me but any questions you have I will help with.

Inorder to slipstream the drivers first we have to uncompress them.

Overview:
1.Install nLite and 7zip.
2. uncompress drivers
3. Slipstream drivers and SP3 into disk
4. boot to cd and install windows.

Step 1 :

Download each utility from above and double click both and follow the prompts. Nothing special here.

Step 2:
Right click the .7z files that you downloaded before and choose "extract here". A folder should be created with the same name as the .7z files
If this dosn't work go to start -> all programs -> 7Zip -> file manager.
Navagate to were you saved the files.
Double click the files.
extract all.

Step 3:
Insert the XP disk into your computer.
Make a folder called XP_Install
copy the whole cd to the folder created above.

Open nLite:
When it asks choose install directory, choose where you created the folder.
Then push next.
Select slipstream service pack, the drivers, and bootable ISO options.

When it asks for the divers, choose the folders you selected.
make sure to check multidriver folder , or the one that is not single.
You should see a list of drivers. select all and okay.

Repeat this proccess, once for each folder.

Next for the service pack.
Double click the windows XP Sp3 service pack file we downloaded.follow the onscreen prompts.

As for the ISO part. Push the create ISO button. And then change it to burn a cd, and press burn.
Insert a blank cd and go.

If anything goes wrong, or I left something out, post it . Also you have to forgive me for not having nLite in front of me. I am using Ubuntu. Irony.

Easy fix.

Boot from the Ubuntu install CD as Live session.

Run gparted, if you can't find it from the menu then you can start it from a command line with: "sudo gparted". It's a nice GUI and there is lots of documentation on-line.

Delete all partitions on the HDD.

Shutdown.

Install XP
If that does not work I'll send you a free Banana :)

yang925

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Have you guys every installed XP on a machine that blue screens . He says it just loads for a while then says it has to stop. Probbly a blue screen. Of course he isn't posting exactly what it is though. If its blue screening it could be failing hardware but probably is just missing drivers. The controller to be specific. His disk is SP2. SP2 dosn't play well with raid controllers. Solution? XP SP3 and drivers just in case.

@linux_0: true. Only little snag: installing Ubuntu first then installing XP is lotsa troubles. Installing XP first then Ubuntu is much easier (XP is a badly behaving neighbour, overwriting MBRs and requiring partitions to be of a certain type to boot).

Now, the OP is obviously a newbie; I was giving instructions for use with the XP CD, because a recovery disk may refuse to delete partitions it doesn't know about (thus the message, I bet); and then, one may as well boot only once from a single CD to perform the install, instead of booting off a Linux LiveCD, opening a terminal window, use a command line to start a partitioner with root access, wipe the drive clean, reboot, and then perform the install...

As for slipstreaming a Windows XP CDROM with SP3, although nLite makes things very easy, it's a bit OOT for a Linux thread...

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

It's sort of amusing actually...

:lol: :lol: :lol: