Terabyte

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Hey just looking at
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(15922)Asus-Striker-Extreme-Quad-Core-motherboard.aspx

Curious, I arranged by price as rule of thumb the more you pay the more you get...

Yet

Supported RAM Speed
PC2-4300, PC2-6400, PC2-5300

Is that it? 6400? Am I missing something here?

Corsair 2048MB TwinX XMS2 8500 DDR2 EPP, SLI Ready, Dominator, Memory Kit (2 x 1... (More)
Am I right in thinking the 8500 is better than 6400? And if so could sombody point me to a mother board which support this, as I can't find one...

Also, when buying a motherboard what figures should I look to match when purchasing Main Memory. I see "800mhz" and "1ghz" as common figures, but what figures do I look for on the motherboard to match this? FSB? Thanks for any pointers

Thanks for any advice. :)

Mondoman

Splendid
Here's an article that tests different RAM speeds and latency settings on real apps. Look at the results and decide what you want to pay for: http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=1962&articID=472

On Intel systems, the data passes through both the memory bus and the FSB (front-side bus) on its way to/from the CPU. To figure out what memory to get, a reasonable approach is this:
1) Determine what FSB speed you will be running. For most Core2Duo systems, this will be 1066MHz data rate if you are not overclocking. For typical overclocking, it might go as high as 1600MHz data rate.
2) Take the data rate from (1) and divide by 2, assuming you will be running your memory in dual-channel mode (half your memory installed in one channel and half in the other, so normally 2 or 4 DIMMs total). This number is the minimum RAM data rate spec to buy. For example, for most non-OC'd C2D systems: 1066MHz FSB data rate divided by 2 = 533MHz data rate. Thus, buy at least DDR2-533 RAM for such a system. For OC's systems up to 1600MHz FSB data rate, divide that by 2 = 800MHz data rate, so buy at least DDR2-800 RAM for such a system.

Look carefully at the spec voltage of any RAM before buying. Many higher-end modules these days are sold as factory-sanctioned overclocks, because modules that would run that fast under standard 1.8V conditions are scarce. If you want a "real" non-OC'd module, stick with those rated at 1.8V.

Terabyte

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Look carefully at the spec voltage of any RAM before buying. Many higher-end modules these days are sold as factory-sanctioned overclocks, because modules that would run that fast under standard 1.8V conditions are scarce. If you want a "real" non-OC'd module, stick with those rated at 1.8V.

Wow, thanks pretty crucial... wasn't looking for that at all..
Now I check again, and all the modules I'm looking at are 2.1V so does that mean in order to get the full 800mhz I will have to overclock?

TRENDING THREADS