Team Missions

This past weekend, I started a team and a question came up: "Are we just
doing this mish and leaving?" Now when I lead I tend to do at least one
mish per team member, done by who's on the team first as well as location of
mish. I did this with my team on Striga and everyone was quite happy to
stick around even after their mish was completed just to help finish off
everyone else's.

I guess it's possible that not all do this and some leaders may elect just
to run their missions which I find to be a waste time for everyone else but
you may never know until 3 or 4 missions in.

Now on the other hand, I teamed with a few that were higher levels than
myself, in fact 3 were mid-30s and each had a SK who was high-20s. We only
did the higher level missions but I am sure none of the SKs complained as we
all nealry leveled or did so with a couple missions.

Just some thoughts, comments welcome.

DC
--
8 Infinity Server 8
Purple Kid - Lvl 27 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:57:50 GMT, "Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com>
wrote:

>This past weekend, I started a team and a question came up: "Are we just
>doing this mish and leaving?"
I don't do blind invites. Generally, I'll send a tell to someone,
saying what we are doing so that they know before they get the invite.
In some cases, I just tell them the mission that we are about to do,
other times I'll give a more general description. I know that in PI,
some people are particularly interested (or not interested, as the
case may be) in doing AV missions, so I may say specifically that we
are doing AV missions.

In the cases where I'll invite someone for a specific mission, its
usually only because its for a badge, or for a Praetorian AV (wich is
part of a badge). Some people will only want to join up for that one
mission. That's fine. Anyone who wants to stay on for more missions,
that's fine also.

Generally speaking, with pickup groups, we'll tend to do the missions
of the higher level people, and try to reduce the travel time by doing
the ones in the same zone first. Note that most lower level people
would be very happy to do the higher level missions, because its more
experience for them; plus a lot of higher level people may leave the
group if all they see in the missions are greens and greys (or
sometimes even blues).

The only time that this may be a problem, is when there's one person
on your team who is higher than everyone else, as in a pickup team I
was on earlier today. I found myself being SKed to a level 35, doing
a misson from a level 37 person on the team. I could hardly hit
anything, and I died real quick due to so many AEs going off in my
general vicinity. Needless to say, it was a disaster.
-Graham

In article <yNnZd.39808$VD5.12936@twister.socal.rr.com>,
Hawaii_SE-R wrote:
> This past weekend, I started a team and a question came up:
> "Are we just doing this mish and leaving?" Now when I lead I
> tend to do at least one mish per team member, done by who's on
> the team first as well as location of mish. I did this with my
> team on Striga and everyone was quite happy to stick around
> even after their mish was completed just to help finish off
> everyone else's.
>
> I guess it's possible that not all do this and some leaders may
> elect just to run their missions which I find to be a waste
> time for everyone else but you may never know until 3 or 4
> missions in.

I find it's much more important, as leader, to select a mission
of the appropriate level for the group. I never consider whose
mission it is.

Personally, I don't mind plowing through a few extra-easy
missions now and then, but most teams don't like that much, and
you end up with four to six people soloing at once.

In my experience, most players that are into teams aren't
carrying very many active missions of their own, anyway.

> Now on the other hand, I teamed with a few that were higher
> levels than myself, in fact 3 were mid-30s and each had a SK
> who was high-20s. We only did the higher level missions but I
> am sure none of the SKs complained as we all nealry leveled or
> did so with a couple missions.

That's the sweet spot, although I hate to be the low guy on the
pole that can't really contribute.

--
Neil Cerutti

Buser

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005

My Grav controller has a severe problem with teams and missions. Since
my archtype and power set have virtually no means of fast damage it
takes me a minimum of 60+ minutes to solo one of my own level-2
missions. The problem is that nobody ever wants to do my missions even
if I am the highest level person on the team, so all my missions end up
at -2 to -5 before I end up paying some -5 level scrapper or blaster to
do damage while I hold everything. Apparently controller missions have a
rep for being too easy or not giving enough xp for people to want to do
them, at least in the mid-20s levels.

That reminds me, I have to go do my daily datamine on server populations
and then decide to play either my 26 team grav or 42 illusion soloist.
--
Sometimes too much drink is not enough.

buser@heck.huh wrote:
> My Grav controller has a severe problem with teams and missions.

Controllers in general just aren't meant to solo. Certain controller types
are even less solo-able. I stopped playing my grav controller at about 7 or
8 because of that.

As much fun as it was to pair with a blaster and toss foes in the air for
him to zap. :)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 25 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>buser@heck.huh wrote:
>> My Grav controller has a severe problem with teams and missions.
>
>Controllers in general just aren't meant to solo. Certain controller types
>are even less solo-able. I stopped playing my grav controller at about 7 or
>8 because of that.

Illu/rad does reasonably well.
NOt anywhere approaching the speed or safety of a blaster or melee type,
but they can do ok if played sensibly.

I have a wee illu/rad - level 14 - that has never teamed other than a
brief period during the halloween event to get the badges.

He even soloed Frostfire.

>As much fun as it was to pair with a blaster and toss foes in the air for
>him to zap. :)

Pull.

Xocyll

In article <Xns961B586A77E25nitropressatnitrosyn@216.168.3.44>,
Shenanigunner wrote:
> buser@heck.huh wrote:
>> My Grav controller has a severe problem with teams and missions.
>
> Controllers in general just aren't meant to solo. Certain
> controller types are even less solo-able. I stopped playing my
> grav controller at about 7 or 8 because of that.
>
> As much fun as it was to pair with a blaster and toss foes in
> the air for him to zap. :)

Controlling is a hard road. Playing solo is mostly too slow,
while in groups your contribution is usually underrated.

--
Neil Cerutti

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

> I have a wee illu/rad - level 14 - that has never teamed other than a
> brief period during the halloween event to get the badges.
>
> He even soloed Frostfire.

Wot? How did he do the last room?

~T.

Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a wee illu/rad - level 14 - that has never teamed other than a
>> brief period during the halloween event to get the badges.
>>
>> He even soloed Frostfire.
>
>Wot? How did he do the last room?

Slowly.

The character in question has few skills.
Spectral wounds, blind, radiant aura,accelerate metabolism, hasten,
hover, hurdle, group invis, fly.

With spectral wounds you can move until you're just in range of
something, fire and immediately move back.

The critter hit won't react instantly, and since the attack is not
really visible, his friends don't react.
Since you're out of range when he does react, he has to move to attack
you, and it's not hard to get him out of range of his pals before he can
attack.

You can easily pull one baddie out of a crowd this way.

With accel metab and/or hasten up you can cycle spectral/blind pretty
quickly enabling you to deal with most baddies easily one-on-one.

Blinded critters don't do a whole lot.

It's a very non-standard build in that it has no radiation debuffs, but
it is quite functional as a damage dealing soloist.

Xocyll

Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a wee illu/rad - level 14 - that has never teamed other than a
>> brief period during the halloween event to get the badges.
>>
>> He even soloed Frostfire.

> Wot? How did he do the last room?

I'd guess some leveling was involved. Maybe not.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 26 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:40:52 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>With spectral wounds you can move until you're just in range of
>something, fire and immediately move back.

I use a similar tactic with my kheldians -- I move within attack
range, but without being in agro range. I then start gliding
backwards. If I manage it correctly, I can fire and be out of range
before my shot hits. I also do something similar with corners, where
I start gliding perpendicularly to the line between me and the mob,
and by the time the shot hits, I'm hidden behind the wall. Note that
because I'm flying, my attacks don't actually stop my movement, but
instead, just decelerate it (which makes it easier). I'd imagine that
a blaster could use the same technique, coupled with fly (though with
reduced accuracy).

Note that this tactic is NOT foolproof -- I can't swear that its as
good as having a snipe attack, but it does seem like its that good.
Without using this tactic, though, I doubt I could solo a lot of my
missions without dying a lot more (kheldians, at least in nova form,
are even more fragile than blasters).
-Graham

Graham Zaretsky <grahamz@ameritech.net> wrote:
> (kheldians, at least in nova form,
> are even more fragile than blasters).

My impression is that Kheldians are sort of super-blasters: even more
damage, with other powers to select from, but very fragile. Korrekt?

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 25 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:32:32 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>Graham Zaretsky <grahamz@ameritech.net> wrote:
>> (kheldians, at least in nova form,
>> are even more fragile than blasters).
>
>My impression is that Kheldians are sort of super-blasters: even more
>damage, with other powers to select from, but very fragile. Korrekt?

Its my understanding that while in nova form, their AE attacks, in any
case, are better than blaster AE attacks (I don't know how their
single-target attacks rank). But they have some major frailties while
in nova form, which is why most people do not stay in that form 24/7:
1. They have a -15% defense, meaning that they take 15% more damage
per attack than a blaster would
2. They are particularly susceptable to Quantum weapons and Void
Seekers -- with a kheldian in your group, you are guaranteed to have
at least one of these in every mission.
3. They cannot use any other abilities while in nova form, other than
their 4 innate Nova attacks (2 single target, 1 wide-angle cone, one
targetted AE). This includes toggles (eg. Tough), and innate
abilities (eg. Stamina) Non-toggle Buffs can be cast while in human
form, and will remain while in nova (eg. Hasten, Build up).

II have a warshade named Moondust, and a peacebringer named Nova
Stardust -- both are 15, and both die a heck of a lot more than my
Ice/Ice blaster ever did at that level (much less my scrappers or
defenders). They are are supposed to be more challenging to play than
the normal ATs, and I can testify that this is very true. The damage
they can do with their AEs is really impressive, but playing them can
still be very frustrating. -Graham

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

> Graham Zaretsky <grahamz@ameritech.net> wrote:
>> (kheldians, at least in nova form,
>> are even more fragile than blasters).
>
> My impression is that Kheldians are sort of super-blasters: even
> more damage, with other powers to select from, but very fragile.
> Korrekt?

My Peacebringer is now lvl 8.......

And I've died at least that many times.....

Void Seekers and Quantum weapon holders show up in every mission.

I have even seen a Quantum Reaper. And ran like a little girl at the
sight of it.

Quantim's are a little weaker than the normal bad guys...they two shot
me, i two shot them.

The human form damage is not that much in the lower levels (so far).

But I got the Isolater and Negotiater badges faster as a K than as my
scrapper.

As a K, you try and do as much damage as quickly as possible, because
you are weaker than any blaster every could be.

The benefits when teaming, well I haven't teamed yet so I can't compare
them. But they are supposed to be pretty good.