Enable APM - Disable ACPI

G

Question... i disabled ACPI but APM did not come up in my control panel. Do i have to reistall? Or is there a setting i can change?

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
More information needed. OS, system specifications, please.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

G

in windows 2000 dude. Ms knowledge base says if I goto standard pc ill need to enable APM. Welll how in the fudge do I do that?

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, there's a couple of ways. The first, and best, is done when the OS is first installed. When Win2k asks you if any SCSI or third-party drivers should be installed, you hit F5, and choose to load as a Standard PC. But ACPI (or ICPI) has to be disabled in the BIOS, first ... as you already know.

The second is done in the Device Manager. Select the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System, under System Devices. Choose to update the driver, and select Standard PC. However, when you reboot, you are going to need <b>all</b> of the drivers for your devices at hand ... preferably on a CD.

But I have a question. Very few people really have any kind of problem with ACPI under Win2k. Why do you need to set the system as APM? What's the problem? I recommend that you don't do this, unless absolutely necessary. Don't change to APM, if the perceived problem is just seeing multiple devices sharing an IRQ. That's <i>normal</i> for Win2k.

You should also be aware that you'll lost the ability to shutdown the computer until you enable the Advanced Power Management in the Control Panel. Otherwise, you'll be hard-booting.

AND ... the system is not likely to be nearly as stable under APM, due to the HAL.

If you already know all this, then just take the advice with a grain of salt, or ignore me, please. Your choice!

<GRIN>

See ya ...

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

G

Well dude the biggest reason is i have a soundblaster live card and it crackles all the mother [-peep-] time in 2k. Im trying to find options and im running out. Its pretty sad by the time i figure this all out xp will be out and ill have purchased a phillips card. But hey man thx for the help.

-Spuddy

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I figured that the problem was an IRQ conflict. Which device is sharing with the sound card, and which IRQ? Have you tried switching the cards around in the slots? Sometimes you have to force the BIOS to manually reset the configuration data, with each slot/card change, and then boot into Safe Mode to alter the I/O.

I've had the best luck with putting the SoundBlaster cards in the third PCI, with the NIC in the fifth, and nothing in PCI one.

How about yanking the card out of the Device Manager, and installing new drivers? Stay away from Liveware 3 in Win2K ... gotta use the latest stuff.

Toejam31

P.S. I like the Philips cards, too. Easy installation. But I haven't tried to install one in WinXP yet ... but all the other OS's, yes. I'm pretty sure they have Linux support, too.

G

Thanks again too good old domestic assistance.

-Spuddy

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Don't blame the Sound Card. It's most likely your NIC's if you have them installed. I guess most of you have network adapters installed right?????

If so check if they are ACPI compatible in the manual or on the back of the box it came in. If not get a new one or change to Windows 98/ME again. I had some of the same problems with my SB Live! 5.1 platinum until I installed a noname ACPI compliant network adapter.
I don't know why most SB Live! cards are affected by the network adapter. All I know is that changing the network adapter and placing the cards in the right PCI ports helped me and my friends with our SB Live! Windows 2000 problems.
You also have to make sure that the sound card is NOT sharing any IRQ's with other components in the bios, although you have ACPI enabled in Windows 2000. All you have to do is look in your mobo manual to see which PCI ports share IRQ's with each other or the AGP port. When you find out which PCI port is absolutely free of IRQ sharing you place the SB Live! in that slot and all the other cards where there is room.

I am almost willing to bet that this will work out for you, but please let me know if it does not!! I have given this advice to many peeps and have not heard any complaints yet!

Good luck! (No my network card did not exactly "kill" my SB Live!, it just drove it "mad"!!!)...... :)

My name is Jond, Bames Jond.

My ACPI incompatible network adapter killed my SB Live!

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
liveware 3.0 drivers SUCK!! ...at least in my case.
I installed Lw.o as per instructions.
When i went to test my speakers...win2k rebooted cause of a debug issue.

creative's answer. Reinstall liveware 3.0 but this time manually remove all the entries from registry etc...

:) meanwhile they specifically say let lw 3.0 do this and don't manually remove old stuff yourself.

Also, that news updater is not really removed (its just hidden)...you have to axe it yourself in the registry.

Plus......if you uninstall their disc detector...you lose
the cd auto start in win2k. And that's another registry modification u have to do.

(so far we have established lk 3.0 is not user friendly)

finally, with the update..u still get the odd pops and crackles :(( (infrequent)