Power supply Issues

Shawnb03

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
I been having problems with my computer and I am pretty good with computers and all. At first my computer wouldnt boot as not even power up until I would remove the 24 pin power connector from the board then reconnect it, then it would boot up fine. I have a 580 watt PS running a AMD X2 AM2 4200+ with 2 gigs of DDR2-667 and 1 8800 GTX video card. 2 hard drives. The PS has 2 6 pin connections. I was using both at first when the problems started. I called EVGA about it, they said to use the Molex connection that came with the card. So I did and everything started to work fine. I would get some video studers to a freeze when I play for a long time.

I got a pretty good power supply tester today and its telling me that the PS is bad. I have tested it on different PS and they work fine, so I know that the PS tester works. But what I really need to know? will a PS that is bad still power up a computer and act like it is working fine, or is the PS on borrowed time. Need to know quickly due to I am about to spend about $100 on a new PS that has 4 rails with 18 amps each. Please advise!!

Shawnb03

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
I am not sure what the brand name is, I will have to goto the Local computer store and look what they have. I know they should have a 600 Watt quad rail 18A each rail PS. I would love to go higher but money is in short supply with being in the military. Thanks for your advice.