SP1 Networking still broken

paulpod

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
This is the most insanely stupid and unecessary flaw in Vista and a complete dealbreaker for those handling large video files, like myself. Can anyone explain why MS can not get 1G networking to "just work" like it does on XP?

If I connect to an XP shared folder and drag a file to a local, Vista folder, the copy occurs haltingly at about 8% network utilization.

If I RDP to the XP machine and drag the file to the SAME Vista folder shared to the XP system, the copy goes at 49% (!!!!) utilization. That is the expected, hardware limited speed.

This can't be any driver or hardware problem since NOTHING about the two copies is different except the initiator and sharing direction. If I drag a file to a folder, why can't Vista assume that I am WAITING for that copy to be done and apply all resources to complete it ASAP. Did any of the product managers on Vista every use a computer for real work?

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I thought this problem was fixed even before the Service Pack came out for Windows Vista. I remember having this problem when I was moving things from my XP computer to my Vista computer (that computer is now on Vista itself and I haven't seen this problem since) and a hotfix and later, monthly fix from Microsoft seemed to solve this problem.

You might want to see if it is your networking equipment, some Gigabit routers and other networking hardware are known to have serious problems with Vista and have updated drivers and other things that could fix your problem.

I advise going to PCPitstop, downloading and installing their "Driver Scan" application, and seeing if there are updates for the hardware in your computer, and if you have a router, going to the site of the router maker to see if there is an update available.