OEM CPU: bad idea?

PartEleven

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I'm going to purchase an e6420, and since I'm definitely getting an aftermarket cooler I figure I can save money by buying and OEM chip instead of the retail package with that useless intel heatsink. Now, the problem is I remember hearing bad things about OEM chips, especially for overclocking. Something like you can't be guaranteed that the chip is a good one, so it's better to spring for the retail version to get that assurance. Is this true? Is there something about OEM processors I need know about before buying one? If it makes any difference I'll be getting the OEM chip it from a Fry's retail store because I have a gift certificate there.

joewho

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
If you are going to Frys, you can look at steppings before you buy with a OEM. That's nice. If you overclock the Warranty wont matter, and since you are upgrading heatsinks OEM looks fine.

I would investagate steppings and hit Fry's on a Wen, Thur. When The cage guy will have some time.

Good Luck

If you are going to Frys, you can look at steppings before you buy with a OEM. That's nice. If you overclock the Warranty wont matter, and since you are upgrading heatsinks OEM looks fine.

I would investagate steppings and hit Fry's on a Wen, Thur. When The cage guy will have some time.

Good Luck

no one can tell you overclock so that wont void the warranty!

Valdis

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
i had bought an oem p4 3.4 on ebay and clocked to 3.7 on shitty cpu cooler and absolutely no case airflow. i dont think that oem cpus are any worse than retail cpus

TRENDING THREADS