Sign in with
Your question

Vista does not connect to internet, help!

Last response: in Windows Vista
December 17, 2007 6:07:13 AM

Hey guys, I have a little problem with Vista Ultimate 64bit.

When it is directly connected to my modem, it connects to the internet no problem (Rogers Hi-speed cable) but when I connect it to my router with an Ethernet all I see is "limited connectivity" to an "unidentified network". This of course translates into no internet.

I have tried updating my motherboard's Ethernet with its latest drivers, this did not help.

I'm using a gigabyte p35-ds3l motherboard which uses a Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0). The router I am using is a Linksys WRT350N flashed with dd-wrt v24 RC3 (the software that comes with this router simply sucks).

Other stuff... my XP computers connect both through wireless and Ethernet cable to the router with no problem. Can anyone suggest a solution?

More about : vista connect internet

December 17, 2007 7:48:19 AM

Well - Since Vista finds, configures, and works on the network by itself just fine, I don't believe there's a problem there. It sounds like the Linksys drivers you have aren't working - Go to Linksys' site and see can you find ones that *do* work.
December 17, 2007 11:39:30 AM

You try power cycling both modem, then the router? Then maybe restart Vista if it still doesn't connect. Vista is real picky about having "other" connections, will name it something like connection 2 or something.
Related resources
December 17, 2007 3:01:34 PM

I know this may sound silly to ask.. but did you hit the Start button and choose Connect To? It may be as simple as going to Connect To.. selecting your new LAN network (behind your router).. and telling it to allow internet traffic through that network.

December 17, 2007 3:37:33 PM

Flashing the router with Firmare v 1.05.8 beta did the trick. For those of you readers, you should search google for it, as the Linksys website only had 1.03.2 on it (and this version drops connections alot).

Thanks again,
jr88
December 17, 2007 5:18:04 PM

Ahh.. good to know. Thanks JR
December 22, 2007 1:12:23 AM

A funny story, one time had built a new system, mobo went dead after I'd set up MAC filtering, long story short, had to use wife's lappy to hack into my own router, lol.
!