Strange Easter Egg in Quake II! WTF is it???

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 30, 2005 6:56:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake (More info?)

I'm playing Quake 2 all the way through for the first time, and am at
the point in the game where I just stole the commander's head and am
retreating to the hangar. Before I exited the level, I noticed that at
the beginning one of the windows is now missing, and I can hop through
it and boogey with all my insane, screaming comrades.

If I crouch and go through a little vent shaft right there, I end up in
a room with a guy crawling on the ground and a guy behind some glass. On
the class is written 'KILL ME' in blood, and all of a sudden this
message popped up on my screen:

"A. H. D. S. S. I. B. H.
bjjc"

Pretty sure someone out there knows what this is all about! Thanks for
all the help..
--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

More about : strange easter egg quake wtf

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:55:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake (More info?)

Ah, I think I may have found it.

"A Hall Displays Secret Snapshots In Boss's House / Brandon James & John
Carmack."

Which apparently refers to the secret hallway under the final boss'
arena that shows various stuff about iD programmers and stuff. I can't
wait to see it :D

--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:21:23 AM

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:40:12 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote:

>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

>> But ya knew how to hook, right? ;)
>> McG.
>>

> The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM play.
>Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated the mapper's
>intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders, elevators - the hook
>made them all superfluous. It was fun - but......

Not if the hook is done properly (although maps may need consideration).

The way to do it is to make it an actual weapon that requires switching
(thus, you can't fire while hooking), and to make it a slow movement. QTF
has the right feel for the hook - it's just right.

>I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how I viewed the
>hook.

At least it's not the UT99 Translocator...
August 2, 2005 3:13:04 PM

"rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message

> The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM play.
> Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated the mapper's
> intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders, elevators - the hook
> made them all superfluous. It was fun - but......
>
> I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how I viewed the
> hook.
>
> Bob

consider yourself slammed ;op

jk

but as McGrandpa pointed out, a lot of maps were designed with the grapple
in mind, especially ctf which is what I always played. I never really went
in for the deathmatch games, I liked working with a team in ctf. Remember,
the grapple was not some thirdparty mod but was actually a part of the game
that is just activated or deactivated by the server. So imho, it is a little
innaccurate to say "the designers didn't intend for it to be used".

just my 2¢

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM play.
>> Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated the mapper's
>> intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders, elevators - the hook
>> made them all superfluous. It was fun - but......
>>
>> I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how I viewed the
>> hook.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> consider yourself slammed ;op

I knew it was coming. Had my armor up :-)

> jk
>
> but as McGrandpa pointed out, a lot of maps were designed with the grapple
> in mind, especially ctf which is what I always played. I never really
> went in for the deathmatch games, I liked working with a team in ctf.
> Remember, the grapple was not some thirdparty mod but was actually a part
> of the game that is just activated or deactivated by the server. So imho,
> it is a little innaccurate to say "the designers didn't intend for it to
> be used".
>
> just my 2¢
>

> --
>
> Margolis
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:13:42 AM

> "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM
>> play. Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated
>> the mapper's intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders,
>> elevators - the hook made them all superfluous. It was fun -
>> but...... I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how
>> I viewed
>> the hook.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> consider yourself slammed ;op
>
> jk
>
> but as McGrandpa pointed out, a lot of maps were designed with the
> grapple in mind, especially ctf which is what I always played. I
> never really went in for the deathmatch games, I liked working with a
> team in ctf. Remember, the grapple was not some thirdparty mod but
> was actually a part of the game that is just activated or deactivated
> by the server. So imho, it is a little innaccurate to say "the
> designers didn't intend for it to be used".
> just my 2¢

Quake 2, in the first four CTF maps Id released, you could not get to
some of the powerups without the hook. In most of the maps, there were
cubbyholes, powerups, overhead spaces that were put in with the hook in
mind. DM only players really do seem to consider theirselves the
'purists'. But Quake and Quake2 DM is not my game. CTF is.
McG.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:14:47 AM

> "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
>> "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM
>>> play. Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated
>>> the mapper's intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders,
>>> elevators - the hook made them all superfluous. It was fun -
>>> but...... I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how
>>> I viewed
>>> the hook.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> consider yourself slammed ;op
>
> I knew it was coming. Had my armor up :-)
>

>> jk
>>
>> but as McGrandpa pointed out, a lot of maps were designed with the
>> grapple in mind, especially ctf which is what I always played. I
>> never really went in for the deathmatch games, I liked working with
>> a team in ctf. Remember, the grapple was not some thirdparty mod but
>> was actually a part of the game that is just activated or
>> deactivated by the server. So imho, it is a little innaccurate to
>> say "the designers didn't intend for it to be used".
>>
>> just my 2¢
>>

>> --
>>
>> Margolis
>> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
>> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Hah! Hey, id created several game types for a good reason. Everybody
is different!
McG.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:00:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake (More info?)

"rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message

> The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM play.
> Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated the mapper's
> intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders, elevators - the hook
> made them all superfluous. It was fun - but......
>
> I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how I viewed the
> hook.

Yeah, I totally agree. The grappling hook really shouldn't be used in any
map not designed for it, and virtually all DM maps are not designed for it.
Otherwise, most of the map design goes out the window. It turns it into a
totally different game, one that's amusing for a while, but ultimately, I
think, less interesting than without it.

Zoid added it from the beginning in Threewave CTF for Quake, for whatever
reason, and then it became pretty much standard in all CTF implementations
since then. So every CTF map ever made has been designed with the hook in
mind, and that's just how CTF is.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:03:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake (More info?)

"Matthew Vaughan" <matt-no-spam-109@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:zfaIe.7316$p%3.34117@typhoon.sonic.net
> "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM
>> play. Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated
>> the mapper's intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders,
>> elevators - the hook made them all superfluous. It was fun -
>> but...... I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how
>> I viewed
>> the hook.
>
> Yeah, I totally agree. The grappling hook really shouldn't be used in
> any map not designed for it, and virtually all DM maps are not
> designed for it. Otherwise, most of the map design goes out the
> window. It turns it into a totally different game, one that's amusing
> for a while, but ultimately, I think, less interesting than without
> it.
> Zoid added it from the beginning in Threewave CTF for Quake, for
> whatever reason, and then it became pretty much standard in all CTF
> implementations since then. So every CTF map ever made has been
> designed with the hook in mind, and that's just how CTF is.

That's an interesting point, one I'd never considered. I've played
mostly CTF with all the quakes, but also have played quite a few FFA
maps/servers. The action on the FFA maps is usually too fast n furious
to even think about a hook :)  Never thought to use it in DM.
!
neutral