Strange Easter Egg in Quake II! WTF is it???

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake (More info?)

I'm playing Quake 2 all the way through for the first time, and am at
the point in the game where I just stole the commander's head and am
retreating to the hangar. Before I exited the level, I noticed that at
the beginning one of the windows is now missing, and I can hop through
it and boogey with all my insane, screaming comrades.

If I crouch and go through a little vent shaft right there, I end up in
a room with a guy crawling on the ground and a guy behind some glass. On
the class is written 'KILL ME' in blood, and all of a sudden this
message popped up on my screen:

"A. H. D. S. S. I. B. H.
bjjc"

Pretty sure someone out there knows what this is all about! Thanks for
all the help..
--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

    Ah, I think I may have found it.

    "A Hall Displays Secret Snapshots In Boss's House / Brandon James & John
    Carmack."

    Which apparently refers to the secret hallway under the final boss'
    arena that shows various stuff about iD programmers and stuff. I can't
    wait to see it :D

    --
    Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
    Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake (More info?)

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:40:12 -0400, "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote:

    >"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> But ya knew how to hook, right? ;)
    >> McG.
    >>

    > The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM play.
    >Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated the mapper's
    >intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders, elevators - the hook
    >made them all superfluous. It was fun - but......

    Not if the hook is done properly (although maps may need consideration).

    The way to do it is to make it an actual weapon that requires switching
    (thus, you can't fire while hooking), and to make it a slow movement. QTF
    has the right feel for the hook - it's just right.

    >I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how I viewed the
    >hook.

    At least it's not the UT99 Translocator...
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message

    > The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM play.
    > Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated the mapper's
    > intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders, elevators - the hook
    > made them all superfluous. It was fun - but......
    >
    > I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how I viewed the
    > hook.
    >
    > Bob

    consider yourself slammed ;op

    jk

    but as McGrandpa pointed out, a lot of maps were designed with the grapple
    in mind, especially ctf which is what I always played. I never really went
    in for the deathmatch games, I liked working with a team in ctf. Remember,
    the grapple was not some thirdparty mod but was actually a part of the game
    that is just activated or deactivated by the server. So imho, it is a little
    innaccurate to say "the designers didn't intend for it to be used".

    just my 2¢

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
    > "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM play.
    >> Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated the mapper's
    >> intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders, elevators - the hook
    >> made them all superfluous. It was fun - but......
    >>
    >> I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how I viewed the
    >> hook.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > consider yourself slammed ;op

    I knew it was coming. Had my armor up :-)

    > jk
    >
    > but as McGrandpa pointed out, a lot of maps were designed with the grapple
    > in mind, especially ctf which is what I always played. I never really
    > went in for the deathmatch games, I liked working with a team in ctf.
    > Remember, the grapple was not some thirdparty mod but was actually a part
    > of the game that is just activated or deactivated by the server. So imho,
    > it is a little innaccurate to say "the designers didn't intend for it to
    > be used".
    >
    > just my 2¢
    >

    > --
    >
    > Margolis
    > http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    > http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake (More info?)

    > "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM
    >> play. Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated
    >> the mapper's intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders,
    >> elevators - the hook made them all superfluous. It was fun -
    >> but...... I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how
    >> I viewed
    >> the hook.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > consider yourself slammed ;op
    >
    > jk
    >
    > but as McGrandpa pointed out, a lot of maps were designed with the
    > grapple in mind, especially ctf which is what I always played. I
    > never really went in for the deathmatch games, I liked working with a
    > team in ctf. Remember, the grapple was not some thirdparty mod but
    > was actually a part of the game that is just activated or deactivated
    > by the server. So imho, it is a little innaccurate to say "the
    > designers didn't intend for it to be used".
    > just my 2¢

    Quake 2, in the first four CTF maps Id released, you could not get to
    some of the powerups without the hook. In most of the maps, there were
    cubbyholes, powerups, overhead spaces that were put in with the hook in
    mind. DM only players really do seem to consider theirselves the
    'purists'. But Quake and Quake2 DM is not my game. CTF is.
    McG.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake (More info?)

    > "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
    >> "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM
    >>> play. Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated
    >>> the mapper's intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders,
    >>> elevators - the hook made them all superfluous. It was fun -
    >>> but...... I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how
    >>> I viewed
    >>> the hook.
    >>>
    >>> Bob
    >>>

    >> consider yourself slammed ;op
    >
    > I knew it was coming. Had my armor up :-)
    >

    >> jk
    >>
    >> but as McGrandpa pointed out, a lot of maps were designed with the
    >> grapple in mind, especially ctf which is what I always played. I
    >> never really went in for the deathmatch games, I liked working with
    >> a team in ctf. Remember, the grapple was not some thirdparty mod but
    >> was actually a part of the game that is just activated or
    >> deactivated by the server. So imho, it is a little innaccurate to
    >> say "the designers didn't intend for it to be used".
    >>
    >> just my 2¢
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Margolis
    >> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    >> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    Hah! Hey, id created several game types for a good reason. Everybody
    is different!
    McG.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message

    > The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM play.
    > Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated the mapper's
    > intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders, elevators - the hook
    > made them all superfluous. It was fun - but......
    >
    > I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how I viewed the
    > hook.

    Yeah, I totally agree. The grappling hook really shouldn't be used in any
    map not designed for it, and virtually all DM maps are not designed for it.
    Otherwise, most of the map design goes out the window. It turns it into a
    totally different game, one that's amusing for a while, but ultimately, I
    think, less interesting than without it.

    Zoid added it from the beginning in Threewave CTF for Quake, for whatever
    reason, and then it became pretty much standard in all CTF implementations
    since then. So every CTF map ever made has been designed with the hook in
    mind, and that's just how CTF is.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.quake2,alt.games.quake (More info?)

    "Matthew Vaughan" <matt-no-spam-109@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:zfaIe.7316$p%3.34117@typhoon.sonic.net
    > "rjdriver" <rjdrivers@cox.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The hook was an interesting toy, bit I never adopted it for DM
    >> play. Call me a purist, but I always though it completely negated
    >> the mapper's intentions. Why bother with stairs, ramps, ladders,
    >> elevators - the hook made them all superfluous. It was fun -
    >> but...... I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but that's how
    >> I viewed
    >> the hook.
    >
    > Yeah, I totally agree. The grappling hook really shouldn't be used in
    > any map not designed for it, and virtually all DM maps are not
    > designed for it. Otherwise, most of the map design goes out the
    > window. It turns it into a totally different game, one that's amusing
    > for a while, but ultimately, I think, less interesting than without
    > it.
    > Zoid added it from the beginning in Threewave CTF for Quake, for
    > whatever reason, and then it became pretty much standard in all CTF
    > implementations since then. So every CTF map ever made has been
    > designed with the hook in mind, and that's just how CTF is.

    That's an interesting point, one I'd never considered. I've played
    mostly CTF with all the quakes, but also have played quite a few FFA
    maps/servers. The action on the FFA maps is usually too fast n furious
    to even think about a hook :) Never thought to use it in DM.

Games Video Games