Would you go with DX9.0c or DX10?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitrik

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2005
There has been alot of controversy about DirectX 10 and Directx 9.

I've heard people say that DX10 was good and some say it's bad, I don't know wether it's just
people want an excuse not to upgrade..kinda like when XP first came out, or it just really sucks overall.
and just to throw the question out there...I know that Microsoft said they were release DX10 Exclusively
to Windows Vista users is there a chance we will have it soon for XP???

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Direct X 10 my thought's

Present DX10 games don't look visually much different from DX9 mode, while bringing a huge performance hit

A decent mid-range computer with a good DX9 GFX card running XP will outperform a high-end Vista machine under DX10

8600GTS and 2600XT are a waste for DX10 and DX9 performance is behind last series cards

It's all hype and a way for Microsoft to sell their Vista Junk!

XP for games :sol:

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Even if drivers have improved to boast DX9 performance to be near XP's, the fact remains XP plays them better even if the difference is only small. To buy Vista to just play DX9 games is pointless anyway, but DX10 is currently not worthwhile from my point of View either, where does that leave Vista?

My point from my post above was I can buy a Decent value priced DX9 Windows XP Rig, which will outperform a high end Vista Rig under Direct X 10. The point also being is Direct X 10 games don't look a whole lot different considering the performance hit, some games like Bioshock actually look worse because of No AA. I have played Bioshock, Crysis, Call of Juarez and World in conflict under Vista DX10 and DX9 and I was hard-pressed to find any big differences. DX10 may well get much better, but presently that's not the case and the rush to install Microsoft Vista for DX10 is not worth it, as I found out.

One other thing people forget is, many Games will run into compatibility problems and will not work when running under Vista. When I was running Vista I would often encounter 'Stopped working' and 'checking for solution, These games were not ancient either. The compatibility feature does not solve it either. Many good games and software on the market are now useless for persons running Vista.

I made a mistake installing Vista, but I am now very happy to be running XP again and I will leave Vista on the shelf to collect Dust.

Nice... Responds with more bashing... <should have known better>

I've been running Vista 64 bit, with the same games (add The Witcher, and NWN2/Mask to your list), and have had zero stoppages. You may not care to even be bothered figuring it out or fixing it, but I'm telling you: If you get "Stopped Working" errors, you have problems other than games.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

I have used Vista and DX10 games, so I am entitled to have a view on my experiences from it. You don't like it, that's your problem.

I've been running Vista 64 bit, with the same games (add The Witcher, and NWN2/Mask to your list), and have had zero stoppages.

I didn't even mention the games that were causing the stoppage problems, so I don't know how you came to that assumption. My comment was about the general compatibility problems Vista has..it cannot be denied.

I mentioned the games because you did in your earlier post. No more, no less.

And my point is that if you had similar problems in XP, you would investigate, isolate the trouble, and fix it. Full Stop. But because it's Vista, then somehow it's acceptable to whine about vague "compatibility problems", call it a POS and not do anything to fix it.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I mentioned the games because you did in your earlier post. No more, no less.

I mentioned some DX10 games, but the compatibility rant part of my post was separate and unrelated to the games I mentioned earlier. I was talking about my personal experiences of compatibility problems that I'd faced with other games and a general view on Vista's compatibility problems

And my point is that if you had similar problems in XP, you would investigate, isolate the trouble, and fix it. Full Stop. But because it's Vista, then somehow it's acceptable to whine about vague "compatibility problems", call it a POS and not do anything to fix it.

Vista has a problem with compatibility with many existing software, that's why some PC manufacturers are still offering Windows XP. Trust me I tried lot's of trouble shooting, but Vista is a bad egg.

MrsBytch

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
So the question really is, would you go with vista or xp, right?

I think anyone that buys XP for a new computer is an idiot. Vista is the new thing, might as well jump in. I did and happy with it.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
'New' does not always equal better.I certainly don't think it makes someone an 'Idiot' to buy a tried and tested operating system for their New PC like XP.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I've never had an issue with Vista, but I also know how to google to troubleshoot any issue I ever get with XP as well as Vista. People who have had issues with Vista usually point back to incompatible hardware drivers which have been resolved but they didn't stick with it so they don't know about it. I know of very few programs that won't work in Vista even if you have to use compatiblity mode like in XP. What's the point of wasting money on old XP when you could be jumping into Vista.

nightgamer

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
lets all get on the vista bandwagon and completely take away our privacy. why i might as well bend over, i mean just because bill gates who is making 87 billion a year can do it, by god, it must be ok.
this is the general stupidity of the american people. letting a rich person do your thinking and letting buisnesses run the legal system is largely why american economy is in a complete downfall. not only do we have everyone scared of downloading anything, but also publishing anything online.
You know its quite sad, once a utopian ideal was the idea that were all equals, we cant take what we own with us and that greed, especially in a community setting was the greatest evil to the common good.
Now its practicaly worshiped, anyone not jumping on the bandwagon is a troublemaker or wackjob.
Its also laughable that William Gates wanted to develope windows os so everyone could have an equal chance at developing the system. Kind of hard to do when all the rich companies not only own all the copyrights as well as rich people and will sue anyone
into the stoneage who treads on thier ground.
I guess that changed on his first million, vista becoming the new anti piracy watchdog watching over programs and material that will be completely absolute. How many beattles tunes can you remember, the Crysis of today is yesterdays pacman. Technology is sweeping so fast that its making new programs absolete even before thier produced as new apps are even more advanced than thier predecessors. The other downside is how many songs from the 1920s can you hum, movies
can you remember seeing? Age has a way of crumbling knowledge into dust.

Its funny George Orwell used to be laughed at, now hes reverse worshiped.
I'll never switch to vista and before i get on the pro piracy parade id rather program my own os.
people get exactly what they deserve, you wish to be a slave, then so a slave shall you be.

Copying is a natural thing to do, its how people draw, how people learn music and how people learn in general by
copying what others are doing. This is why are system is so gone, were so fundementaly anti educational its laughable.
If you wish to be the many supporting the few its certainly your right to do so.
I'll convert to linux before i get vista.
Be a sheep, be proud. but vista, cmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.