Sign in with
Your question

Can't Burn dvd+dl rw on Vista? Please Help

Last response: in Windows Vista
December 19, 2007 5:51:30 PM

I'm new to the forums so i hope i get this right.

I have vista 32 bit premium for my Internet machine, I do quite alot of burning in general. I was running XP Pro for 3 years and burning was never a problem. After i upgraded to vista, not only are all my burn times X2 longer, but i can't even burn DL anymore. Not with image burn, nero,roxio,and a few others i have tested . I have tried 4 burners and 6+ different burning softwares. Nothing works. they all see the drive as correct, and the right media. All the software knows its a DL RW (single side ) All of the programs either start the burn and hang at 1% forever. (yet write nothing to the drive).... or it asks me to insert the right media. I'm using crappy memorex. single sided duallayer rw discs, but after 32 tries with different discs. I somehow don't think i have 32 bad disks in a row.

Vista is fully upgraded and with all the latest drivers. (i re-installed them all again just in case)
My Machine (just fyi) x2 3800, 2gig ddr400 kingston, 320gig sata wd drive. 16x dual layer emperx burner
7800 pciexpress card. 550 antec psw.

In addition to all of this. I never get any errors, just the 1% hang or insert right media (depending on the software i'm using).. Any help on this would be great. I need to burn cod4 and crysis and a few other games that single layers just don't cut it. Is this a normal vista problem? Is there a hotfix for this? Last note: (i do use emprex 20 dollar cheap drives. but i have 6 and they all work perfect in xp pro. and on my other machines. zero coasters.) Only Dual layer media seems to be effected. and my cds, and reg dvd burners are x2-x3 longer burn times. 16x burner=45 min cd burn?

Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : burn dvd vista

December 19, 2007 7:30:23 PM

So - The drive writes other media, but not DVD's?? I'm thinking maybe it's mis-identified and the system thinks it can't do those. Try uninstalling then reinstalling the drive.
m
l
December 19, 2007 7:53:02 PM

No No, is reads and writes all media types. On all my machines with xp or older. But with vista home premium, it will not write to my dual layer dvd RW disks. it will write reg dvd,(4.7gig) and cds, but at 2-3 times slower than xp. But my real problem is not the speed at which it writes(even tho 45 min for a cd is stupid) it's the fact that all 4 burners i have tried with vista don't burn my single sided (not double sided) 8.5 gig dvd+dlrw discs. All the burning programs see the media fine. the drive fine. the speed fine. Just won't write. When i pull the disks out of the drive (after a forced cold boot) (vista locks my drive to spin forever).. theres no data written to them. I can re-insert my 8.5gig rw disks and re-try again. everything works like its suppose to, just.. no physical data being written to the disks if i use 8.5 gig media. 4 drives, 6 programs. re-installed devices and drivers.. all the same problem. even tried sony and tdk media. this is why i'm asking if theres a vista dual layer burning problem. or if theres a hotfix... on another note.. why would all the media that i CAN burn. burn so insanly slow? lol. all this makes vista look very bad.
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2007 7:57:50 PM

Quick update: With the defualt vista burning software, i checked on what is supported. I can't find 8.5 gig media anywhere. Only lists up to 4.7 gig and dvd-ram drives. I can't find any info on why this is the case, but regardless, nothing is working. and going back to xp is not an option with this machine at the moment.
m
l
December 19, 2007 8:03:39 PM

Then the next step is to check the maker for a firmware update for Vista
m
l
December 20, 2007 6:48:52 AM

OK, I took your advice and updated the firmware. I can burn all types of reg cds and dvd(4.7gig) versions. but again. not dual layer. I checked with the maker of the drive. and no dice.
m
l
January 8, 2009 7:45:07 AM

I am having the same exact problem burning dual-layer, single-sided DVD media. I don't even think it's RW, but I can't seem to get any data written. It will prepare the data image (.ISO), but when it comes time to place it on the disc, it spits it out and says it can't write to disc and the DVD is entirely clean of all and/or any data.

I, also, would appreciate direction in resolving this issue. Any suggestions, or a resolved thread?
m
l
January 8, 2009 11:39:24 AM

I burn DL all the time on Vista but not re-writeable, so far I'm up to about 15 burns and all worked. I've been choosing a conservative burn speed which was advised for my application.

Can you burn a single write DVD DL?

I see you have tried different media brands but have you tried a different drive? That you have only tried this one cheap drive looks like the weak link in your troubleshooting efforts to me. I say this because I am burning DL fine and this is the first I have heard about this issue with Vista so I tend to doubt that the OS itself is to blame. It could be an issue BETWEEN that particular drive and Vista that XP did not have. For sure try another drive.

Daemon tools instead of burning?
m
l
January 8, 2009 12:07:41 PM

@wickedsnow

I'm using Vista64 Home Premium and Nero8 Ultra edition, I haven't experienced any problems burning a DL DVD, my first thoughts for your situation is to run a thorough memory diagnostic program and see if you are getting any system memory errors.

Burning dual layer DVDs may require extended system memory access that burning a single layer doesn't require, I'm not exactly sure if the allocated memory changes from single layer to dual layer burns, but there has to be some logical explanation and resolution to this problem.

Microsoft has a very good Memory diagnostic program that thoroughly tests Windows possible errors, the link to either the Bootable Floppy or CDROM diagnostics disk creators is on the webpage below, I suggest you run the tests and eliminate your system memory from being the possible reason.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

One other possibility is make sure the DVD burn rate is manually set in your burning software program, if the media is 2.4X capable set the burn rate to 2.4X manually, if its 8X and it won't burn manually set to 8X, then set it to 6X.
m
l
May 8, 2009 5:54:37 PM

hombreguido said:
I am having the same exact problem burning dual-layer, single-sided DVD media. I don't even think it's RW, but I can't seem to get any data written. It will prepare the data image (.ISO), but when it comes time to place it on the disc, it spits it out and says it can't write to disc and the DVD is entirely clean of all and/or any data.

I, also, would appreciate direction in resolving this issue. Any suggestions, or a resolved thread?

It was antivirus software that slowed my machine down. Running Vista-64 on a Core 2 Quad, it predicted 4 days to write, even after leaving it on overnight.

I turned off sophos and it immediately went to normal speed. I can tell because the the hd activity suddenly shot way up and the predicted time remaining is steadily dropping, down to 29 minutes just during the time I wrote this message.
m
l
!