Sign in with
Your question

Read files lacie drive linux

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
November 30, 2009 9:40:50 PM

I have a Dell inspiron running xp home that was bogged down by viruses and wouldn't run task manager or in Safe Mode. I booted Ubuntu from a Live CD, Copied all important documents over to my 500 gig LaCie external drive.
I have now reinstalled XP cleanly, plug in my external drive to copy my documents back over, and I can't access it in Windows. It's available in Device manager, and in disk management, as an unallocated 500g space.
However, I can't access the files. There's 400 gigs of other stuff, plus 40 gigs of backup.
Any help would be great!
December 1, 2009 5:18:48 AM

Boot from the Ununtu CD again. You should be able to see both the external drive and the Windows drive so that you can copy the documents back.
m
l
December 1, 2009 5:42:53 AM

Ijack said:
Boot from the Ununtu CD again. You should be able to see both the external drive and the Windows drive so that you can copy the documents back.

I tried that, it seemed logical. However, now Ubuntu doesn't see the drive either. Drive is visible in device manager, and disk manager in both windows xp and 7, but read as unallocated drive. I cannot assign the drive a letter. Recovery software is not seeing the drive either. I think I can reformat using disk manager, but I don't want to loose almost 500g of data.

Thanks for your help.
m
l
Related resources
!