Tags:
  • Article Discussion
  • FTP
  • Internet Service Providers
  • IP
Last response: in Toms Network
August 7, 2007 2:45:33 PM

Hi

I've just got a static IP address from my ISP but I can't figure out how to use it. I have a home network going through a Cable & Wireless router. My internal ip is 10.0.0.4, my static ip is 85.92.186.66

I'm trying to run a FTP server which isn't going well. I can gain access to the ftp server using 10.0.0.4 on port 21, but that doesn't help people outside my network.. I have tried to port forward using the following :-

port 21, TCP & UDP IP - 85.92.186.66 it jst keeps failing to connect to ftp, I cant even bring up the remote server info using my ip in the address bar of firefox

If I set my TCP connection settings to : -

IP - 85.92.186.66
Sub - 255.0.0.0
Gateway 10.0.0.2

Ftp works, but I don't get no internet

Anyone got any ideas?

More about : figure router

November 3, 2007 1:31:56 PM

in windows you shouldnt have to specify an ip address

in your router, you will need to enter your static ip address information, then once that is completed, your default gateway on your computers NIC should be your routers assigned ip for you, or you can assign one yourself
November 14, 2007 12:17:31 PM

did ya set your "DNS" , make sure your DNS numbers are set for your systems/routers, just an Idea?
November 20, 2007 1:12:22 PM

Are you paying extra for the static IP from your ISP?
I tinkered with FTP and I just used a DNS updater. It will allow you to keep your dynamic address from them and it points your address to a domain name per say. it updates when your IP updates. Cool stuff

Anyway, What i did is just forwarded port 21 to my server IP address and enabled that port. The other thing to look for is the users accessing the FTP need to have their browser's set up correctly too. I ran into alot of headaches with that when trying to share files with some friends. Running a web server to let them download from ended up working a little better.