Sign in with
Your question

Ubuntu Radeon HD 4200 Resolution

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
December 3, 2009 2:20:51 AM

Just installed Ubuntu 9.10. I'm a first-time Linux user (used to Windows), so go easy on me. :)  I (finally) figured out how to install the latest ATI driver for my HD 4200 graphics. However, the maximum resolution both the usual Display dialog box and the Catalyst Control Center allow is 1366x768; my monitor is natively 1680x1050. I really would like to get my monitor at the full resolution. What should I do?
December 3, 2009 6:48:42 PM

UPDATE
I figured out what my problem was; I had the display mode set to "mirror", and my other display has a resolution of 1366x768. However, now when I disable the second monitor completely and set the main one to 1680x1050, a dialog box appears saying that I must log off and back on to activate the new resolution. When I do so, I'm back to mirror mode with a resolution of 1366x768! I think I'm ready to get rid of Ubuntu for now... Maybe I'll try it again when they release 10.04 LTS.
m
l
December 5, 2009 5:00:35 PM

I'm no expert, but I had problems with Nvidia resolutions being too low because of incorrect frequencies in /etc/X11/xorg.conf from a previous install.

Try using "X -configure" for a correct xorg.conf or removing/raising frequencies.

m
l
December 5, 2009 5:07:09 PM

downer88 said:
I'm no expert, but I had problems with Nvidia resolutions being too low because of incorrect frequencies in /etc/X11/xorg.conf from a previous install.

Try using "X -configure" for a correct xorg.conf or removing/raising frequencies.

Thanks for the reply, but I already got rid of Ubuntu. When I try again (10.04, as an LTS release, will hopefully be less buggy), I'll certainly try this if the same problem occurs.
m
l
!