Status
Not open for further replies.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I don't like Vista, but I will not deny that it will replace Windows XP eventually as the commonly used Windows OS, Although I very much doubt that would be any time soon.
I wiped Vista off of my system and I will not be reinstalling it again any time soon because I was not impressed with it.For computers today XP is the better OS for compatibility and Much less bloated where system resources is concerned. No need to rush to install Vista to achieve the exact same tasks as XP, but slower, unless it's the only choice installed on a new computer.

Cirga

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
Any change scares most humans. Humans are by nature habitual creatures.. we all have our daily rituals that when disturbed can really upset us. Upgrading to a new operating system on a computer can have the same efffect.. it is a big change that will not only affect how you operate your PC on a dailiy basis.. but also may require alot of intervention to get every application working again.

Eventually everyone will changeover.. and it will suddenly become a "Wow! Vista is amazing!" splurge.

*shrug*

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

I'm not scared of Change, but for me I tried Vista and Disliked it...that simple for me :)

It will replace XP because there will be little choice for new computer buyers

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
My Computer specs first Dual Core AMD and 2GB Ram
It may not be the greatest, but it's decent enough.

Ok first the positives:
Easy to use
Good search feature
Looks nice with the Aero Interface
Direct X 10 when it matures

Negatives:
General compatibility problems with my existing games even some of the latter ones. This seems to be a problem with every edition of Windows with older titles, but I just get the sense Vista is particularly bad. I would be naive to expect everything to work, but I didn't think it would be this bad in Vista. I believe Some of the problems lie with Vista's new security measures.

User Account control is probably the most annoying feature to ever be included in a MS Windows OS, but least that can be turned off.

Direct X 10 performance is down to the GFX manufacturers to improve I know, but buying Vista for this reason ( my main reason) may not be worthwhile just yet. Current games offer very little over DX9 Visually, but DX10 requires fast hardware. A 8800GT/GTX seem like the better cards for the job, but although they are hugely powerful DX9 cards, they are really only Mid-range DX10 cards. DX10 will become better over time with faster hardware and the Game Developers using the new features better. Don't buy on hype (my mistake).

occasional blue screens when Vista would do a crash dump before I could enter the OS, then my computer restarting

Some random freezing issues where Vista would lock up momentarily, could be a driver issue, but all my hardware is suppose to be compatible. Although I also own an Intel Dual Core laptop that had Vista pre-installed and I am still running Vista on this laptop because I only really use it for the net, but that also experiences random lock-ups.

Vista Feels bloated, which is unnecessary when some Linux OS Distributions feel more nimble and light. Even with all the aero candy switched off it's still a resource hog.

My conclusion is XP is an ageing OS from 2001, but it will run the majority of avaliable software. Although XP looks ugly compared Vista it is still a very capable and faster OS. Because it's older the operating system has matured over time with better stability and the bugs have been ironed out with Service packs. I actually feel like I have upgraded my computer re-installing XP. Vista on the other hand is rather new, so maybe it can be improved with Service packs.

Vista will eventually replace XP because new systems will have it pre-installed and new system builders will have little choice unless they want to try Linux. It will be the successor like every other edition of windows that has gone before it, but my whole point has been In my opinion there's little need to rush to install Vista when for now XP defeats it in almost everything.

I have had ZERO problems with Vista in recent months. My 64 bit Vista screams. Yes, there are a few compatibility issues, but just a few for me, so what, XP was worse at this point.

There is a mindless anti-vista hysteria going on out there and some tech ppl who should know better are playing along. Dvorak and Laporte for two. Same kind of guys who want to give equal billing in their stories and blogs to an OS with 5% worldwide share. Go figure. Still a lot of mindless anti-MS ppl out there. Dvorak hasn't even tried it! Laporte was blaming a dude's poor gaming performance on his son's new HP PC ( I said laptop earlier, sorry) on Halo 3 on Vista! Only mentioned the usual suspects such as weak on-board vid card and drivers and whatnot as an afterthought. Said dude should go back to XP. Amazing. Halo 3? LOL Must have meant' Halo 1 or 2.

I second notherdude's post - I'm running Vista 64 and have had very very few issues - Just some shareware that gets nuked for not having good digital certificates. I had to buy a new Anti Virus suite because the old (XP) one wouldn't work any more. And the drivers for my old Creative X-fi sound card were *so* bad that I threw the thing out.

The OS itself has never crashed on me, it's fast, and is easier to use than XP was. Mostly due to the greatly improved search tool.

Quite frankly, the biggest "problem" I've had with Vista is all the people who insist on telling me how incompatible, bloated, crash-prone, and terrible my OS is... I suspect many of these individuals haven't even tried it, and those that did probably had some little problem and ran back to XP with their tails between their legs rather than figure it out.

MrsBytch

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I used xp for over 5years. Recently installed Vista64 and love it. Why anyone would install it, then go back to XP is beyond me. Times have changed, its time to change with them.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I stopped using the Vista betas because of endless problems, the RTM version (x64) has won me over. I've had exactly 3 incompatible devices: flatbed scanner (F.U. HP), telephone (sync software), and a poorly-done-in-the-first-place X10 video device, and i'm using those with an XP VM (VMware) to workaround. Even software that claimed that it wouldn't work at all with V64 is working just fine - even my own code that i wrote with nary a thought for Vista OR 64-bit. I had more probs with XP when it was released for sure. My quad-boot V64/XP64/XP32/Debian box is about to become V64+Debian. (when i booted XP a few minutes ago to install some updates, i noticed that my first response was "ewwww - is this W95?").

And my 5.9 WEI doesn't suck, either. wooooooof!

The bugs are few, and i expect SP1 will iron those out. I can deal.

Although now I'm somewhat annoyed at all the work I put in on my video for youtube, "The WTF Starts Now".

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I have Vista on 3 computers (4 if you count my Wife's laptop). No blue screens/lock ups. All this hysteria is easily summed up for by an incident I had last summer while working on the Geek Squad at Best Buy. This old guy was bitching and bitching about how much Vista sucked. When I refuses to agree with him he got even more irrate. He started screaming about how this was allow some scam to rip people off and why does stuff ever have to change. His issue with Vista? The start button no longer said "Start" on it (of course he had no interest in learning how to change that). This really bothered him because it was soooo different then his previous system - with Windows 98.

Caledo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was way worried about making the switch from XP to Vista, but one month on I love Vista a lot more than I did XP. Everything is just smoother and more responsive...then again, the hardware upgrades between my old PC and this one are pretty substantial.

Oh sure, UAC yelled at me a lot, but that's what Comodo is for.

...his problem was the Start button? Wow. That's kinda sad.

Twist86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I agree Vista is a great OS. I am a gamer so my PC is not a relic and I think thats the problem with most of the haters.

Sadly a cheap single core can't run a new age OS like Vista.

I run 4GBs of ram vista ultimate x64 Once I disable the crap I hate about vista...system restore-auto defrag-superfetch-UAC-indexing and all the crap processes I don't need I use about 600mb of memory....which leaves me plenty to play with.

I love Vista...I really like that real time search in each folder while indexing is off...its still instantly fast...I put in "patty" and I get my grandma's videos/photos immediately. Genius.

X4 9650 2.3ghz
4x1GB PC6400 Memory
8800 Ultra 768mb

All in all I love Vista and I can only guess those that hate Vista are to stupid to use it to begin with so who the hell cares what they say.

In the beginning I wasn't a Vista fan at all, however the issues I was facing at the time were not the fault of the operating system, they were driver support from Nvidia and Creative, making gaming virtually useless.

Those problems have long since been resolved and my Vista64 performs flawlessly, even running older 32bit apps!

If Vista isn't running great for you, I'd suggest looking into the latest available drivers for your hardware or upgrading your hardware if necessary to get past those old problems.

If you're running older hardware with a cutting edge operating system you may as well expect to have problems, unfortunately that was the same pricetag that came along with WinXP when it was first released.

My Vista64 Home Premium works great and DX10 in games is something you'll have to experience to appreciate, I cannot explain that to you!

Going Vista, I have no regrets! Have a great day everyone!

PS Almost forgot, If you're bashing Vista, and you haven't even tried it???

You don't even know what you're talking about! How lame is that?

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I had doubts about Vista after hearing all the bad hype about it. I was so use to XP and was really concerned when my new PC arrived with Vista Ultimate 32 bit pre-installed. I can now say that I actually prefer it over XP. Sure there are differences but nothng that I haven't gotten use to. I'm now looking into going to the 64 bit OS because I'd like to take advantage of the greater amount of ram this affords.

Ouch! This post was made just before all my Vista64 problems started with dual booting WinXP and loosing all my Vista restore points, Blah, Blah, Blah, ending in completely dumping Vista64, working out a solution to the dual boot dilemma between Vista Home Premium and WinXP Pro and reinstalling not Vista64, but Vista32 and resetting up my dual boot setup with WinXP32.

So to update after all the problems were resolved dual booting between Vista and WinXP only runs into problems with Basic and Home Premium cause the Bitlocker option in Ultimate resolves the lost Vista Restore Point situation, so someone running Ultimate and dual booting WinXP may never even have this problem.

So I'm presently dual booting Vista Home Premium 32 and WinXP Pro 32 with no problems, and across the board running 4G of system memory which both OP/SYS run exceptionally well on, now if I had not been dual booting, I probably wouldn't have ran into the issues with my Vista64, that said.

I am very satisfied with Vista, I dual boot WinXP Pro because some older applications I use, and do not want to part with yet, run perfectly on the operating system they were designed to run on, WinXP. Nuff Said There. Ryan

Well seeing as how I do have the hardware to support it, Yes!

I personally think that borders on an ingenious idea on MSFTs part, that will ease the fears and reluctance some will have to upgrade their systems.

You can have the best operating system on the planet and some still will not touch it.

Heres one for you, I just finished removing 92 virus infections from an older computer, running Win98 first edition, for 11 years.

The machine had never had anything done to it, had the original OP/SYS installation, no hardware failure, all the virus were located outside the OP,SYS and after eliminating all the virus, the machine once again ran like a top, Amazing!

I told the customer their computer deserved to be put in the computer hall of fame!

Running Win98 on a computer that was top of the line around that year would be a non-issue. Of course newer software with higher system requirements will definately show that computer's age... but with the bare OS and a few programs, it will run seemingly as quick as a modern computer with a modern OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.