Should I install Linux

VistaVendetta

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop with an AMD Turion Tk 55 (1.8GHZ dual core) 2GB or RAM and ATI x1150 integrated graphics and Windows Vista Home Premium. As most of you have guessed Vista is slow as hell so what I wanna know is can I install Ubuntu Linux on my Laptop? Will it work with Linux? Will Ubuntu be faster than Vista? Will all my drivers be recognized (I still have the driver CD)? Will I loose all my data if I install Ubuntu? Will I still be able to use Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Mozilla Firefox , and Windows Media Player on Ubuntu? And If everything works out perfectly with Ubuntu how do I remove Windows Vista?
:sol:

Solution
If you want a system that is pretty much like your current one - but faster - and runs all your existing programs then I'm not sure that Linux is for you. There are equivalents to some of the programs that you mention, but some of the ones that you have won't run on Linux (at least not without more experimentation than I suspect you want to get into). And, yes; unless you back up your existing data and then restore it after installation you'll lose it.

You could always try a Live CD first, or create a small partition and install Linux on that in a dual-boot setup. From the nature of your query I wouldn't recommend that you delete your Vista installation just yet.
If you want a system that is pretty much like your current one - but faster - and runs all your existing programs then I'm not sure that Linux is for you. There are equivalents to some of the programs that you mention, but some of the ones that you have won't run on Linux (at least not without more experimentation than I suspect you want to get into). And, yes; unless you back up your existing data and then restore it after installation you'll lose it.

You could always try a Live CD first, or create a small partition and install Linux on that in a dual-boot setup. From the nature of your query I wouldn't recommend that you delete your Vista installation just yet.

Solution

VistaVendetta

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009

Well I don't mind isntalling open office or Gimp to replace photoshop and MS office. In fact I don't mind installing open source software at all. But my main problem is the speed. Will Ubuntu run faster than Vista? And also will it run Firefox? And why should I keep Vista if Ubuntu does it's job right?

linux_0

Splendid
Ubuntu will run Firefox perfectly. Ubuntu should run faster than Vista especially if you optimize it.

software replacement

Microsoft Office ===== open office

Adobe Photoshop === GIMP

Adobe Acrobat ===== open office inkscape evince and many more

Mozilla Firefox ==== Mozilla Firefox

Windows Media Player === VLC mplayer xine xmms and many more

Microsoft Office and some adobe software will run under WINE and Crossover Office although you should always try native Linux software first.

The Inspiron 1501 should run Ubuntu with virtually no problems.

Good luck :)

linux_0

Splendid
Fedora 11 with a GUI can boot in 20 seconds or less on a modern computer.

Fedora 11 without a GUI can boot much faster than that.

Ubuntu 9.04 desktop with a GUI also boots quite fast even on a netbook as long as you have lots of ram.

Semper Fi :)

linux_0

Splendid

That's right :) and *nix will run for years without a single reboot as long as your hardware's good.

On a portable device or a home computer that isn't always left on boot speed can be important.

There are Linux based devices that can boot up in about 3 seconds, mostly embedded devices like phones, GPS units, media players, DVRs, TVs, etc., etc.

Semper Fi :)