Rtorrent? What are you doing?

CWillis767

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Ok so I am on a Ubuntu server (9.10) trying to use rtorrent to torrent a file full of rars. I type in "rtorrent FILENAME.torrent". Next thing I know there is a file on my server seconds later that is the destination folder of the torrent. The file is completely full of all the rars. Next I used WinSCP to transfer it to my desktop and.... its working???? It is transfering the 14 Gb of rar files perfectly normally.... How does that work? There is no way I dowloaded that rar to my server in 2 seconds... Anyone have any idea?

randomizer

Champion
As MrLinux said, it is probably working the same as when you download an ISO. The file is already, say, 4.7GB when you only just started downloading. It seems the space is pre-allocated. Have you tried actually combining the RARs and [strike]viewing the pr0n[/strike] executing whatever it is you downloaded?

linux_0

Splendid
Great points randomizer and MrLinux :) Only one thing, you shouldn't be executing programs you found on bittorrent or other P2P services unless you can verify the pgp signatures and all the checksums and thoroughly check the files for viruses and malware.

Even though Linux is a secure operating system it is still vulnerable to human engineering attacks.

Good luck :)

linux_0

Splendid
Right on!

Recently some people made a screensaver containing malware and posted the .deb online.

Fortunately it was discovered and taken down within 24 hours.

Semper Fi :)

One of the reasons I like the central software repository model. All my software from one source and all upgraded by one tool. Unless you want to play with bleeding edge it's all there for you and you can have a reasonable degree of confidence in its integrity.

TRENDING THREADS