Vista Wireless Network Lag/Spikes

yee

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101910

So basically, I get random spikes and lag every 30 to 60 seconds (sometimes even less) on a wireless connection in Vista.

Does anyone know how to fix it? Online gaming is almost impossible, especially in WC3 (apparently it's a lag-fest when I host)

Apparently, Windows looks for a new access point every 30-60 seconds, thus giving me the lag/spikes.

I got up to turning off WLAN AutoConfig in the above link, but couldn't find where to manually input my SSID.

Cheers

P.S. I also tried Vista Anti-Lag, but it doesn't work on my computer.
P.S.S. This is similiar to the Windows Zero Config problem on XP, except you could turn it off.

G

Ok the real solution i just fixed it my self uninstall the drivers for vista and install the drivers for xp it worked for me...i have d link wua 1340 usb 100% garateeee

Using Vista x64 and D-Link DWL-G520 card.

Lags and spikes every 60 seconds as everyone all over the Internet mentioned. Tried VAL, WLAN optimizer, batch files to disable wlan service, nothing helped.

Then I decided to try the abovementioned advice to use windows xp drivers. Luckily, DWL-G520 has 64 bit XP drivers, so I could use those.

DO NOT INSTALL UTILITY (i.e. do not start setup.exe file)! It won't work with Vista. Instead, install only .inf file by using device manager.

Guess what? NO SPIKES, NO LAGS! Even without dlink utility! Not using VAL or WLAN optimizers - and problem is still solved! What's even more amazing is that I used to get 50 ms ping to my provider and now I get 31 ms all the time, and it STAYS 31 ms all the time!

So, to all x64 Vista users: try XP x64 drivers ONLY, without utility. Good luck!

JangoReborn

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Hello, as a random act of kindness of whom ever googles vista wireless lag spike I will tell you how to fix it here as it took me awhile to find out.
Thanks to the genius of Microsoft, Windows Vista has a feature built into it that looks for another network to connect to that is more preferred than the one you are currently on. This feature runs every 60 seconds causing massive lag spikes as your computer runs a scan for other networks. Thankfully this is only a feature in vista and not XP or Windows 7. Currently the only work around I found in order to get this scan to stop was by going to: Start(windows button) > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Wireless networks (on the left side) > then right click on your Networks Name (SSID) and go to properties. Once in properties you would then turn off "Connect to a more preferred network if available". Then you would open up the command prompt and type in "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wireless Network Connection 1" to turn off the scan and : C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=yes interface="Wireless Network Connection 1" to turn on the scan. I would like to note here that where I have "Wireless Network Connection 1" this would be the name of your OWN wireless connection. Turning it off allows you to go lag spike free for gaming or pinging or whatever else you need your connection to do.

sntroi

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

YOUR A LEGEND !! IM ON AN ACER LAPTOP AND YOUR LITTLE .exe WORKS PERFECTLY FINE !! NO MORE LAGS !!

THANK YOU SO MUCH AMIGO I CAN NOW PLAY CS LAG FREE

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

sambion

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

You are freaking God SEND! This little program works great. On a side note, is there a tutorial on how you wrote this? Or maybe is the source code available? :bounce: :bounce:

G

I tryed using the little exe. and it said that my belkin usb adaptor didn't work.
Im kinda computer illitirate (and spelling).
Have i missread something or is it just because of the adaptor.

Haberman

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

The link doesn't work for me, can someone find or host an alternate download location? I think background scanning is part of what JangoReborn solution covered, so I can enable that manually, but I can't find anything on enabling MediaStreamingMode.

G

can you kindly re-upload the file, i know it works, unfortunately, due to some reasons i need the file again, but i don't have it, also due to some reasons

me and a lot of other people potentially will appreciate it

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Lags Could Be related to your internet connection wiring try using a cnet bandwith tester to see if you get good speeds at certain times try different times! Spike could be from a bad power outlet you can test it with a line tester adapter, or a ups is good for clean power going to your nic card or powersupply. A good active line conditioner helps with a power supply($170-$250) but a UPS is a good choice too around($100-$150).

PCHelpz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Hey sorry if this is reviving a dead post but can the person reuploaded the small file again PLEASEEE ive had this problem for over a year now and i just CANT find anything as a fix... ive tried like EVERYTHING and dont wanna have to resort to waiting for me to build my next computer and get W7 pleaseepwleplaspelspalepsalepwql please

anishinaabeg

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Edit: I tried downloading the file off the site I gave below, it contains files I don't recognize. It doesn't have the WifiFix.exe that it's supposed to have, or the readme. I might have to search around, don't know if it is still hosted anywhere, but I have the working file on my computer. In case you try to find it, the file size is about 27.5KB, and it's recognized as file version 0.0.0.0 when I hover the mouse over it.

Edit 2: I guess what that link leads to is sort of the basis on which the WifiFix.exe program was created? I searched a bit last night and all I saw were torrents that may or may not actually contain the program. I don't know if it was intentionally taken down for some legal/safety reason, but if not, I guess I could upload it somewhere. I might check back in a few days from now for any responses from those in need.

Original reply: Yeah sure, this is the contents of the readme that came with the file when I downloaded it.

"Uses managed wifi code: http://www.codeplex.com/managedwifi

Turns on MediaStreamingMode and turns off BackgroundScan. Needs the .NET framework.

Fixes wireless network lag, especially noticeable when gaming."

You can download it at the above link. There's a version 1.1 and 1.0 both from 2007, I don't know if there are any updated versions. You can find version 1.0 if you click the creator's user profile name (ikonst). I think that's the official site. It made a huge difference when I wanted to play online games on my Vista laptop.

vongolaats

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Staff to a problem with the platform to play dota gg.
the game starts and the time to choose the hero I take Drop Followed by DC.

I use windows vista. they said that was my problem with IP or router I fis and the test was not. I use internet connection sharing on pc and it is shared that the use of XP to play normally.

someone help please