Vista 64 Crashes All the time. Need help

jorder247

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
I just built a computer with vista 64. The reason I used 64bit vista was so I could use 4gb of RAM. Vista randomly freezes, crashes or Blue Screens on me. It either gives me the message PAGE_FAULT_IN_A_NONPAGED_AREA or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I have looked around online and found that the problem is Vista 64 has trouble with over 3 gigs of RAM. Microsoft made a patch (kb292777). I tried installing the patch, but it tells me that my system doesn't apply for this update.
problem.jpg

I am now using 2 gigs of Ram and haven't crashed yet. I want to use all four though. Can anyone help me?

My system:
Q6600@ stock 2.4ghz
4 gigs of G. Skill 800MHZ RAM
MSI p6n diamond motherboard
8800GT
Edimax wireless card
Vista 64

I am using all of the latest drivers for my hardware.

Well, that patch was for INSTALLING Vista with more than 3 gigs. Since you are already installed that may not be the problem. Then again, maybe it is, I'm not sure. They are pretty specific about it at MS though, mentioning an exact bsod error and the storport mini-driver. Your BSOD is a little different.

You did choose the 64 bit version here didn't you. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=91672C7C-614B-404C-850C-377541E93C18&displaylang=en

There is a 32 and 64 bit ver.

This may not be your problem. You may have a MOBO that doesn't like filling all four slots with RAM. Some don't. Try setting the RAM speed down to 677 instead of 800 and see if you can run there. That has worked for others with this problem.

Also, may some of your new RAM is bad? Try running memtest with each stick individually.

Also perhaps relax the timings to 5,5,5,xx instead of 4,4,4,xx.

EDIT: just saw badge's post below, do check as he suggested about the ram voltage too.

Use 1 DIMM in Slot 1 only to get to BIOS. In BIOS set the memory voltage to 2.0-2.1v. Adjust the memory timings to RAM Mfg. specs. After you are stable with OS and MB/system drivers installed along with all OS updates, install the remainder if the RAM. If the system becomes unstable at any point try to run memtest86. If memtest86 is showing errors at any point, you may have a bad DIMM. RMA the RAM and try some other. HTH.