Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
Running Vista Ultimate 64bit. Curious as to why the capped it at 8GB considering 64bit means you should be able to address what like 16 Terabytes?

I know windows server you can buy the different packages and that will give you options of up to I believe 64GB of RAM.

I'm just curious as to why there is a cap at all if it's capable of reaching 16 Terabytes of Ram. Obviously I've no intention of putting 16TB of ram in here just wondering.

XP lasted atleast 5-7 years I believe. So in 5-7 years I could see the need for 8GB of ram hell Bill Gates once upon a time was quoted 256KB of ram was more than anyone would ever need. Assuming it takes them another 5-7 years to give us another OS this seems a bit odd. Think it will be something they just release an update for... "Here download this patch, it's allow addressing of 16GB" ??

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
In the title you say virtual memory. Do you mean virtual address space or physical? The virtual address space is something inside the cpu, not the chipset

The specs i've seen on microsoft.com says 8TB for user space,and 8TB for kernel space

Anonissimus

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
well if I remember right 64bit systems allow adressing of 16 exabytes of data, so the dimms and mobos will move along. Currently there is 128GB supported for servers... correct me if I'm mistaken

Status
Not open for further replies.