Your question

Problem following use of Recovery Console

Tags:
  • Blue Screen
  • Recovery Console
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
December 11, 2007 8:15:47 AM

Recently my PC crashed with a BSOD and when I rebooted I received the missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system messge.
I put in my XP disk and used recovery console to replace the system file. PC booted up ok. Now after a couple of minutes the PC gets a BSOD which flashes up something about the fltmgr.sys file and then it reboots.
In control panel when I click on system under the General flag it shows that I have XP Pro Service Pack 1 installed and very little information about the PC itself just that it has 1 GB of memory. When I go to add/remove programs it shows that Service Pack 2 is installed.
When I boot up into safe mode I am not getting the cycling BSOD problem.
Anybody got any clue how I can resolve this?

Cheers.

More about : problem recovery console

December 11, 2007 9:41:26 PM

Possible it's a driver problem and you could uninstall you're current drivers and reinstall the latest ones given you're not have the problem in Safe Mode. Given the missing/corrupt message above very possible Windows some how got corrupted and you'll have to do a clean install
December 16, 2007 3:52:55 PM

Hi,
I am facing the same problem of \windows\system32\config\system file missing. This is actually a win xp registry issue.
I have tried everything from re-format (full, NOT quick format) to low-level format, hardware diagnostics, RAM testing by four different programs but I am still stuck with the issue.
As per MS this error (or any other registry issue) is usually due to hardware faults. But I found none in my PC so far.
If you are using unsigned drivers they could be an issue.
at BSOD what error do you get ?
They are in the format : 0x000000xx
I am getting almost every possible error. But no solution in sight.
Did you try chkdsk /r at recovery console. It helps me sometimes.
Please note that if chkdsk recovers your windows then run a chkdsk from the command prompt after XP boots up fully. It will prompt for a restart : do it and then see if chkdsk runs for full 5 stages on reboot and if it reports errors.
If it says bad sectors found then back up your data, and do a low-level format of your hdd using the hdd manufacturer supplied utility (check the websites of seagate/hitachi/WesternDigital.... as may be the case)
This usually takes care of bad sectors. If low-level indicates problem then its time to retire the hdd.
!