How can I load software written for Win 95 on Win XP?

I have a game I had on my last PC that was designed for Win 95.

I'm happy with Win XP but I'd like to load this game too. I'd hate to have
to buy it again.

Is there anything I can do to load this game on my system?

Please advise.

TIA, L.
11 answers Last reply
More about load software written

    Try compatibility mode. Select the executable, right-click > Properties >
    Compatability and select Windows 95.

    Lee wrote:
    > I have a game I had on my last PC that was designed for Win 95.
    >
    > I'm happy with Win XP but I'd like to load this game too. I'd hate
    > to have to buy it again.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do to load this game on my system?
    >
    > Please advise.
    >
    > TIA, L.

    I have games designed for Windows 95, such as DOOM95. I just installed it
    using its installer. It works just fine right out of the box.

    --
    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread,

    also, go to the game's website if pos, and see if they have an xp patch

    --
    Pete S

    --
    Pete S
    > Try compatibility mode. Select the executable, right-click > Properties >
    > Compatability and select Windows 95.
    >
    > "Lee" <Lroszkow@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a game I had on my last PC that was designed for Win 95.
    >>
    >> I'm happy with Win XP but I'd like to load this game too. I'd hate to
    >> have to buy it again.
    >>
    >> Is there anything I can do to load this game on my system?
    >>
    >> Please advise.
    >>
    >> TIA, L.

    Thanks for the reply, the program is Tritryst and the installer won't work.
    I appreciate your input though.

    Lee wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply, the program is Tritryst and the installer
    > won't work. I appreciate your input though.
    >
    > "Donald L McDaniel" <donmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Lee wrote:
    >>> I have a game I had on my last PC that was designed for Win 95.
    >>>
    >>> I'm happy with Win XP but I'd like to load this game too. I'd hate
    >>> to have to buy it again.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything I can do to load this game on my system?
    >>>
    >>> Please advise.
    >>>
    >>> TIA, L.
    >>
    >> I have games designed for Windows 95, such as DOOM95. I just
    >> installed it using its installer. It works just fine right out of
    >> the box. --
    >> Donald L McDaniel
    >> Please reply to the original thread,
    >> so that the thread may be kept intact.
    >> ==============================

    Is the installer a text-mode installer? The program was probably written
    for Windows 3.x instead of Windows 95, and would not be well-behaved on a
    version of Windows above 3.x.

    --
    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread,
    so that the thread may be kept intact.
    ==============================

    Thanks for the response but the website on the package www.vie.com is no
    longer Virgin Interative but some other firm.

    I do indeed appreciate your comments though.

    "Pete S" <a@a.com> wrote in message
    > also, go to the game's website if pos, and see if they have an xp patch
    >
    > --
    > Pete S
    >
    > --
    > Pete S
    > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    >> Try compatibility mode. Select the executable, right-click > Properties >
    >> Compatability and select Windows 95.
    >>
    >> "Lee" <Lroszkow@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have a game I had on my last PC that was designed for Win 95.
    >>>
    >>> I'm happy with Win XP but I'd like to load this game too. I'd hate to
    >>> have to buy it again.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything I can do to load this game on my system?
    >>>
    >>> Please advise.
    >>>
    >>> TIA, L.

    The crystal info says Win 95 but that doesn't mean you not correct. I've
    pretty much given up.
    Thanks anyway.
    L.
    > Lee wrote:
    >> Thanks for the reply, the program is Tritryst and the installer
    >> won't work. I appreciate your input though.
    >>
    >> "Donald L McDaniel" <donmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> I have games designed for Windows 95, such as DOOM95. I just
    >>> installed it using its installer. It works just fine right out of
    >>> the box. --
    >>> Donald L McDaniel
    >>> Please reply to the original thread,
    >>> so that the thread may be kept intact.
    >>> ==============================
    >
    > Is the installer a text-mode installer? The program was probably written
    > for Windows 3.x instead of Windows 95, and would not be well-behaved on a
    > version of Windows above 3.x.
    >
    > --
    > Donald L McDaniel
    > Please reply to the original thread,
    > so that the thread may be kept intact.
    > ==============================

    I'm a dummy please tell me how to get into that mode , I have the same
    problem have 6 or 7 kids software written for 95 and 98 but now have xp

    sharijob@yahoo.com

    "Jerry" wrote:

    > Try compatibility mode. Select the executable, right-click > Properties >
    > Compatability and select Windows 95.
    >
    > "Lee" <Lroszkow@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > >I have a game I had on my last PC that was designed for Win 95.
    > >
    > > I'm happy with Win XP but I'd like to load this game too. I'd hate to
    > > have to buy it again.
    > >
    > > Is there anything I can do to load this game on my system?
    > >
    > > Please advise.
    > >
    > > TIA, L.

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 04:30:03 -0700, "sharijob"

    <sharijob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >I'm a dummy please tell me how to get into that mode , I have the same
    >problem have 6 or 7 kids software written for 95 and 98 but now have xp
    >
    >sharijob@yahoo.com

    Many games and other programs written for Windows 95/98 can simply be
    installed and run from the WindowsXP desktop. Try Doom95, from id
    software, as an example of programs designed for Windows 95 running
    successfully on WindowsXP. No need to even mess with compatibility
    settings of the Doom95 executable or installer, either.

    I have never found a program written for Windows98 which would not
    install and run on WindowsXP successfully. Programs written for
    MS-DOS are a different story, however, even though I have successfully
    installed MS-DOS programs on my NTFS partition and run them from the
    Desktop. Microsoft did a pretty good job of incorporating
    backward-compatibility with Windows 3.1/Windows95/Windows98/SE/ME into
    WindowsXP.

    But to answer your question, to add Windows 95/98 compatibility to one
    of your Windows95/98 programs,
    1) Right-click on the desktop icon you want to work with.
    2) Choose "Properties"
    3) Click on the "Compatibility" tab
    4) Put a check-mark beside "Run this program in Compatibility mode
    for".
    5) Select the mode you want from the drag-down menu.

    From there the options page is pretty self-explanatory. Just put a
    check-mark beside the option you want set. Don't forget to click on
    "Ok" to save your choices.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that others may be instructed or informed

    Install the software normally, it should run in many cases.
    If it doesn't, find the program's exe file, right click on
    the exe file and select properties. On the properties menu
    is the compatibility tab. The choices are obvious.

    some support

    "sharijob" <sharijob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 04:30:03 -0700, sharijob wrote:

    > I'm a dummy please tell me how to get into that mode , I have the same
    > problem have 6 or 7 kids software written for 95 and 98 but now have xp

    In addition to the answers you've received, many of the kid's programs run
    with a limited window size (640x480). This is an additional option on the
    Compatibility page of the program's properties. You may need to check the
    "256 colors" option too. Check the game specifications to be sure.

    There's a third check box in that display section of compatibility. If you
    think the XP skinning (visual themes) is interfering with the program,
    disable that as well.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User