Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Saving Linux Games to CD?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
December 17, 2009 4:06:05 PM

Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to try Linux for the very first time in the next few weeks for a new pc I'll be building. I haven't decided on a distro just yet Ubuntu 9.04, openSuse 11.2, Fedora 12, Mandriva 2010 & Zenwalk are some of my top choices. Anyway, at home, I unfortunately have dial-up net access, but want to download some games like OpenArena, UFO: Alien Invasion, etc. I'll be taking a trip soon and will have access to DSL for a few days. Is it possible to download the games and burn them to cd like you can in windows? I'm a noob and don't really know about .Deb, .RPM, & .Tar.GZ. Any advic and help would be appreciated. Thanks!

More about : saving linux games

Best solution

a b 5 Linux
December 17, 2009 4:38:15 PM

Short answer is yes :)  You can download any of the formats you mention and save them as a bog standard binary file to a CD, Pen Drive or any other media. You would then install as if you had just downloaded the file. There is nothing different really between a .ZIP / .RAR and a .Tar.GZ in terms of what you are trying to do.
December 18, 2009 12:01:27 PM

Thanks for the help audiovoodoo. Thought that might be the case but wanted to ask someone more experienced and make sure.
m
l
!