SoC allows new bread of Linux systems at very low cost

Given that the surfboard has a comparable spec to the original eeePC 701 4G my brother runs Ubuntu on I'd say not bad. The Cherrypal will just never be fast.

The trouble is that with low cost netbooks discounted to £210 over here at the moment it gets harder to see the saving.

Well funny you should mention the C64 as Asus seem intent on bringing their take on it in 2010. It is a funny form factor but obviously they see a market for it. I think the whole SoC market will get a bit of a shake up in the next year. Google have enough of a name behind them that the Google OS + Arm MID/Netbook platform could really take off.

Oh.. and on the Amstrad question, do you mean the CPC? I used to have a 6128. They did do PC/PCW ranges too. You can talk a walk back to the tech hell of the 80's at their archive.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
There's plenty of call centres (and other offices) who use Thin Clients (cheap, small size, low power, low heat), being able to use a PC embedded in the keyboard could be a very attractive option to them.

I wonder. Is it any better for them than a thin client embedded in the screen? The great thing about thin clients (although personally I hate them) is that they are very easy from a management point of view as they are all the same. All the configuration is done on the server.