Sign in with
Your question

First-Timer mistake, Help!

Last response: in Systems
May 12, 2007 4:57:15 PM

I am putting a Non-overclock system as follow:

Intel BOXDP965LTCK LGA 775 Intel P965
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (2)
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN
Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner

Here are what I done so far:
1. Put everything together and the whole system WAS working properly. Window was installed and running correctly.
2. I was testing the AUDIO by running a DVD. I then un-plugged the speaker output cable that connected to the REAR of the motherboard and connected to the FRONT audio output. I had connected the FRONT Panel audio via the HD audio linker header. I think this was my mistake. I am still not sure how to connect the fron panel audio to the motherboard.
3. The sytem turned off right away after I switch the speaker cable from rear to front.
4. Now, when I turn on the system, all the fans are spinning but nothing else. No signal on the monitor.

What did I damage? The motherboard? the power supply? I need you advices on my situation and how to connect the front audio panel? do I connect to the HD header or the 97 header on the motherboard?

I am appreciated and thank you all your help

More about : timer mistake

May 12, 2007 5:22:14 PM

Quote:
I am putting a Non-overclock system as follow:

Intel BOXDP965LTCK LGA 775 Intel P965
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (2)
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN
Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner

Here are what I done so far:
1. Put everything together and the whole system WAS working properly. Window was installed and running correctly.
2. I was testing the AUDIO by running a DVD. I then un-plugged the speaker output cable that connected to the REAR of the motherboard and connected to the FRONT audio output. I had connected the FRONT Panel audio via the HD audio linker header. I think this was my mistake. I am still not sure how to connect the fron panel audio to the motherboard.
3. The sytem turned off right away after I switch the speaker cable from rear to front.
4. Now, when I turn on the system, all the fans are spinning but nothing else. No signal on the monitor.

What did I damage? The motherboard? the power supply? I need you advices on my situation and how to connect the front audio panel? do I connect to the HD header or the 97 header on the motherboard?

I am appreciated and thank you all your help

Quote:

Your MB should have information on any header designed for front panel audio. What is the HD header? The HD header may be the hard drive HDD LED header? If your case has a front panel audio connector and output, use that to connect to your MB's auxillary audio out header if there is one. You may have made the wrong connections and caused problems.

Just a note: A friend of my son's yanked his serial mouse out of the MB connector and plugged in a new mouse to the MB serial connector with the computer running. He called me. His system would not boot and had an error message. I had to end up doing a windows xp repair with the OS CD. It was the quickest and most painless way of fixing his system I could come up with. You might try resetting the CMOS jumper. Remove the battery and unplug the PSU when you reset the jumper. HTH.
May 12, 2007 6:32:02 PM

Quote:
(snipits) Your MB should have information on any header designed for front panel audio. What is the HD header? The HD header may be the hard drive HDD LED header? If your case has a front panel audio connector and output, use that to connect to your MB's auxillary audio out header if there is one. You may have made the wrong connections and caused problems.

You might try resetting the CMOS jumper. Remove the battery and unplug the PSU when you reset the jumper. HTH.

badge is correct in solving your problem. You can try this also......

Unplug all your audio stuff!

When you power up, hit delete or F2, which ever gets you into the bios. Find the default settings item and use it if available.

If windows boots then, you know it was a connection problem. If it does not, do as badge suggested and boot into the windows disc and do a windows fix that it will ask you once booted to disc.

You can also try to boot into safe mode for testing purposes.

hope that also helps along with badge's

VQ
Related resources
May 12, 2007 9:56:07 PM

Thank you for your help,
However, right now, I can not even get into the bios. When I turn on the system, all the fans are spining but nothing on the monitor.
May 12, 2007 10:05:42 PM

Check all your power connections (RAM seatings also). Make sure your extra video card power adapter is plugged in if it has one.

Have you ever been into your bios before?
May 12, 2007 10:13:48 PM

Unplug the power supply from the wall, wait a few minutes, and then plug it back in and try again. This is usually worth a shot in cases like this.
May 12, 2007 10:14:38 PM

Yes, I was able to install Window on the system before the incident.
May 12, 2007 11:00:21 PM

So what happened was this.....?

while the computer was "on and running", you unplugged the audio from the back, and plugged it into the front panel jacks (which happen to be plugged into a mobo HD pin) and then while the computer was "running" it shut down immediatley going black and off. Then when you turn it back on, only the fans run without any other form of beeps, whines or other things. Fans on...thats it.

I'm not trying to be reduntant here. I'm trying to decipher weather you may have fried a component.
May 12, 2007 11:49:36 PM

Yes, you are right. I switched the rear to front audio panel while playing a dvd. Again thank for your time and help
May 12, 2007 11:59:03 PM

Something that has to be asked....Do you have another Vid card possibly that you can install?

You also did what badge said, resetting the CMOS with jumper and all he stated right?

We are now trying to isolate the bad component.
May 13, 2007 12:13:48 AM

yes,
I already tried an older PCIe video card but still nothing. I also resetted the CMOS to configuration mode but still nothing.

I cannot test for motherboard and CPU since I do not have extra. If I can not get into bios, what component can cause this?

Quote:
Something that has to be asked....Do you have another Vid card possibly that you can install?

You also did what badge said, resetting the CMOS with jumper and all he stated right?

We are now trying to isolate the bad component.
May 13, 2007 12:32:37 AM

I'm afraid we are nearing it to the mobo brav3h3art. Something like the Southbridge for example could have been damaged. The only real way at this point, to be sure, is to get an absolute bare minimum set up together that should fire up. If a NB or SB chipset was damaged the mobo is toast.

Is it still under warranty...all things must be considered at this point.

Don't feel bad ok! Chit happens
May 13, 2007 12:48:20 AM

Thank you VideoQuasar,
I only have the board for a week; I will take your advice and RMA it.

Quote:
I'm afraid we are nearing it to the mobo brav3h3art. Something like the Southbridge for example could have been damaged. The only real way at this point, to be sure, is to get an absolute bare minimum set up together that should fire up. If a NB or SB chipset was damaged the mobo is toast.

Is it still under warranty...all things must be considered at this point.

Don't feel bad ok! Chit happens
!