Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I have two computers and might be able to get a retail copy of XP Pro. I'm not sure which Windows OS to put on which computer. One computer is already built and the other is almost completed.

I want to learn all aspects of computers including networking and OS ins and outs (perhaps, later in the future taking courses for MCSE or MCP or something similar).

Considering this, which OS is the best to have for this? Since I might already have XP Professional (retail), should I take the growing pains and annoyances of Vista? Is there a chance of the major problems being eliminated or minimized from the mods in the eventual Service Packs (e.g. SP 1)?

Or should I get a copy of XP Pro OEM for the other computer?

If I have two copies of XP, it won't matter which OS goes with which computer but I should install the retail ver. (of Pro) in the faster computer?

If I have Vista OEM, I should install that in the faster computer and have XP retail in the other computer?

Do most businesses prefer you train and/or specialize in XP (over Vista) or does it not matter?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Thanks for the very quick reply, guys.

I haven't chosen a program or courses yet. I have 2000 and probably can get a retail verison of XP (unregistered yet). I just don't know if I need Vista.

I have Win2K on one machine and I don't know which machine to put XP on. I guess I should try to finish building the 2nd machine and install XP on it and by that time, I would have an idea if I need Vista (or maybe knowing XP is good enough or is the differences in Vista sufficient that you need to re-learn stuff?).

I was also thinking that XP is still most relevant as many businesses probably still can't afford to switch (to Vista) or think it's in their best interests to stay with XP until the bugs (in Vista) are ironed out. Would that be accurate or pure speculation (on my part)?