Need Advice on building a server, Cheap

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Hello All

I need to know if there are any Linux solutions that would be free and match an MS Exchange Server's capabilities?

For a group of 5 to 10 users what kind of a server system should I be looking at in terms of hardware?

For an environment where most of the clients are going to be windows 7, what server software should I use? Can I get a Linux solution that would allow me to replicate MS Server 2008 functionality?

Does anyone out there know of a software package that would handle accounting / sales management / inventory tracking and allow for users to be given access only to the portions of the system that they need?

Additionally would the software package mentioned handle a web interface that would allow an iPod or some other touch based tablet or hand held device to act as a way to show customers their invoice, and have them sign off on it?

I am looking to set up an entire office with a near paperless system of customer sales management for their carpet cleaning and furnace sales and repair business.

Any and all suggestions and advice welcome. :)

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
okay...

i guess i never should have mentioned linux. i am not a linux fan boy. i am looking for advice for a server set up. i was trying to keep my options open, but honestly moving my topic from servers to linux? i am looking for low cost server solutions, not linux. yes i mentioned it because FREE would be a low cost solution.

thanks for the link linux_0, but it tells me all i need to know. like usual linux is at least a decade behind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Exchange_Server#Exchange_Server_2010

thanks for the suggestions, no thanks for the move. guess i will have to go rethink the way i ask the questions i need to get answers to.

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
ok, let me ask this, is there a linux solution that will easily handle outlook 2007 like an exchange server would? will it allow calendar sharing, task assignments, email both in outlook and a web interface and also store contacts?

is there a solution that will allow me to set up a user on the file server, in a nice graphical interface, without the need to know or understand special commands that i need to type in a special program and have the mail server automattically create the users email account?

would you like to know why i seem so ignorant? it is because everytime i try to find a linux solution to a problem i am having, i am met with quick answers from people expecting a level of knowledge that i dont have. i will freely admit that i dont know or understand linux.

everytime i post something to a linux group i end up meeting the same hostility and "smarter than you" attitude that makes me wonder why i even bother thinking about linux. it is like you are some kind of religious zealots who feel that the only people who can join are those who grovel at your feet begging for the secret knowledge.

honestly, i wish the guy who moved my post would have just deleted it and explained why, would have saved me from having to deal with the likes of you.

linux_0

Splendid
Linux will save you thousands of dollars in software acquisition, hardware and maintenance costs.

You can run Linux on inexpensive commodity hardware with modest specs whereas windows requires a lot of expensive hardware just for email and web browsing.

Heck you'd be much better off with Linux on the server and on the desktop with thunderbird 3 and Lightning or Sunbird.

Semper Fi :)

Given that you bitch about getting smart arse answers I would make this a priority. You ask about linux and then bitch when the thread is moved to the linux section??

I'm actually going to suggest you look at apple.

Seasons greatings :)

linux_0

Splendid
Linux is guaranteed to get you some, time on the bike that is. :)

Someone said "if you want to save a few billion pounds or dollars switch to Linux" :D

If it's good enough to run the LSE and the NYSE, it's more than good enough to act as a mail server.

Semper Fi :)