I CAN'T believe i did this. wrote over my entire hd with ubuntu!

clear

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
now i cant use a recovery disk to reinstall windows, to factory condition. i even have an xp boot disk, ran it and got a blue screen, so man, what do i do? do i throw my hardrive away? what did i do? what can i do? oh man!

linux_0

Splendid
@OP if you want to recover any data duplicate the hard drive to another drive before you do anything.

If you don't care about the data boot ubuntu delete all partitions and start over. Install xp first then ubuntu.

Good luck :)

TegGhola

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I do despise the fact that large computer manufacturers only ship their machines to users with those lousy worth-nothing "recovery" CDs. Utterly useless in situations like the one the original poster describes.

Oh, and to the original poster: don't throw your hard drive away. There's nothing wrong with it. Just decide whether you need Windows (in which case you'll perhaps need to buy a full installation copy, unless someone on the Windows forums knows how to do a full install from a recovery CD). If you don't need Windows, just give Ubuntu a try.

G

I suppose anothe option is to buy an OEM copy of the OS that came with your PC and reinstall that way. I like to do that since it pretty much eliminates any chances of the bloatware that generally comes with Windows. Also make sure you get the latest SP of the OS on your OEM DVD/CD. And you can download and special drivers from your manufactures website. Just my 2 cents.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Had a new user (with his own laptop) today insist that he didn't want to use SMTP Authentication with our email system, cause none of his other emails used it and it was a waste of time... It took a few minutes to convince him it was necessary.

/sigh, although as audiovoodoo says it does pay the bills