quake1 under xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

can anyone help me to get this classic to run on xp? Want it on the laptop
for those road trips. Please reply to group...

THX in advance

Toby

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

http://www.fileaholic.com/idgames.d/idstuff/unsup/

G.

"Bob Dobs" <bob@bob.com> wrote in message
> can anyone help me to get this classic to run on xp? Want it on the laptop
> for those road trips. Please reply to group...
>
> THX in advance
>
> Toby

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

"Bob Dobs" <bob@bob.com> wrote in message

> can anyone help me to get this classic to run on xp?

http://www.fuhquake.net/ (this is the standard client these days for online
play - the major QuakeWorld replacement - but also functions as a Quake
single-player client)
http://equake.quakeworld.nu/ (this is a package including FuhQuake and many
other useful files and utilities - but quakeworld.nu seems to be down at the
moment!)
http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/
http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/ (this is one of the most popular standard
Quake replacements - without QuakeWorld networking as far as I know)

Or just use WinQuake/GLQuake/GLQuakeWorld (and for GL, be sure to throw away
the 3dfxgl driver that comes in the Quake directory, as that will conflict
with your normal OpenGL graphics driver for whatever card you have).

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

> can anyone help me to get this classic to run on xp? Want it on the laptop
> for those road trips. Please reply to group...
>
> THX in advance
>
> Toby

Actually, I can install Q-1 on my XP machine and it works just fine.
It won't work on yours?

Alex

Archived from groups: alt.games.quake (More info?)

Thanks to all for your almost instant help. Usenet is STILL the most amazing
resource... :)

onelife151

Hi there sorry that this is an awfully late reply. If you want to run Quake1 under XP its fairly simple. I am running Windows XP sp2 Home. I took my old handy quake1 cd version 1.06. Installed it via dosbox. The 0.6.3 build will work fine. Now download and installed Winquake via www.planetquake.com.. Extract the file from the zip into the quake directory and double click winquake.exe viola. Quake1 in Xp with full sound video plus options for full screen play. runs rather smoothly just wish I could find other peple to play the game with lol. Hope this helps.

Thorbin

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I tried using DOSBox to install Quake 1, but the install program says it requires Microsoft Windows. When I attempt to run the same installation program under Window XP (Service Pack 2), I get this error message:

The Win 16 Subsystem has insufficient resources to continue running. Click on OK, close your applications, and restart your machine.

onelife151

can you be more specific on how you did the install under dosbox. I have windows xp home sp2 and i was able to install quake1 under doxbox. General run dosbox mount your hard drive for example mount c C:\dos or whatever its easier if you make a directory to put quake in and then mount to that. I will check it again. the winquake patch is to be run in Windows XP not dosbox.
I don't see why quake would complain that it needed Windows to run considering its a DOS application or did you try and run winquake in dosbox lol. I hope this helps out and I will try my best to help you out with any further problems you might have.

DoomTrooper

In order to get GLQuake 1 to run on winxp all you have to do is go into the Quake folder on your computer and delete the file titled opengl32.dll. GLQuake should start right up now. This file was designed to take advantage of older video cards like voodoo that used the 3dfx type of opengl. Once you delete this file GLQuake should work on any modern computer.

5700necropost4kobf7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS