Upgrading from 2000 to XP, Please Help!

Knight

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hello guys,

I am somewhat of a newbie to PC. I have a computer with Windows 2000 on it and want to upgrade to Windows XP, so I go and buy the XP upgrade pack with SP2 on it. On the box it says its for users of 98, 98 Second Edition, and ME. It doesnt mention 2000 anywere ! So can I not use this to upgrade to XP? :pfff: I havent opened the XP package yet , because if it doesnt work I dont want to waste my $99. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks !

Knight

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Someone told me I had the wrong disc. :ouch: I need XP Pro Upgrade.

Heres my dilema : I got a nice new PC for Christmas with no OS on it. The problem is I have no other OS because I sold my old PC. All I have is this Windows 2000 disc. I really dont want to shell out $200 for a complete OS.. What can i get to avoid this? I've seen the $89.99 OEM version will that work since this is a new/built PC?

Thanks!

Sure, Windows XP oem will work. I have used a windows xp upgrade CD to upgrade windows 98 to XP, but not windows 2000 to xp. I also found the upgrade CD will not install unless it is being used as an upgrade. If you are not sure, just return it and buy an XP OEM disk and install it form there. Newegg has XP oem both Pro and Home.

Knight

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Thanks badge i am going to get the oem disc then. One more question please, If I install Windows 2000 while waiting for my XP OEM disc to arrive can I sill install the OEM properly when it arrives? Like if I restore HDD ?

You will have to install win xp OEM from a 'fresh' install. When you boot to the XP OEM install CD, you will have to format the HD (wiping the 2000 install) and install wndows xp onto a 'fresh' formatted HD.

I forgot to add. After you install Windows XP, you need to go to the website product page of your MB and install the system drivers. You may want to download the MB system drivers and put them on a CD before you start. Or, you can probably use the MB CD tha came with the MB if it has XP system drivers. You will also need a video card driver. SO:

Install in this order:

Windows OS OEM CD
MB System drivers
Video card Driver
ALL updates for Windows XP, online downlaod through windows update.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
It works if in doubt (do it anyway) back up all of your letters to santa and anything else you want..The problem is program compatibility. You may lose some programs or options. The systems are essentially built on the same core. I would suggest uninstalling all programs that you have the cd for or can get online prior to the upgrade.
I have 98 2000 and xp currenly installed and Im here.
Almost forgot the above info about the drivers is totally correct.