Sign in with
Your question

How to dual boot Windows 7 and Linux Mint ?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
December 24, 2009 2:13:46 PM

I have preinstalled windows 7 and i want to dual boot it with Linux mint. Searched on google, tried it but can't get it to work as i cannot install Linux mint in the unallocated space, which i created in windows 7 disk management utility. (right click on my windows drive in disk management ---> shrink volume -----> created unallocated space of 10GB)
I have four partitions right now under windows 7 if it matters and i dont want to install linux mint in any other partition.
So can anyone pls help me out how to do it in easy steps ....
Thanks in advance
December 24, 2009 6:46:34 PM

You're only allowed to have 4 primary partitions.

It's best to have fewer partitions and use lvm instead.

Why do you have so many partitions?

Good luck :) 
December 25, 2009 7:56:30 AM

You will need to use Wubi if you don't want to make any changes to the partition structure because as linux_0 said, you can only have 4 primary partitions. This is quite simple. Simply run the installer on the disk from inside Windows and follow the extremely simple prompts. It's the most dead easy way of installing any OS. The disadvantage is that because it is installed to an NTFS partition used by Windows it will fragment faster than if you installed it to a Linux filesystem such as Ext3 of Ext4. It also brings the possibility of a few quirks in the Wubi system causing odd problems in Mint, but I've never run into them myself. The advantage is that you can uninstall Linux Mint from Add/Remove programs in Windows (but you don't want to do that! :) ), and as I said before, it's so easy to set up that your grandmother could do it if she knows what a password is and how to type.

If you can move your data around and delete one of the existing primary partitions you can create an extended partition to replace it and install Mint on that. Extended partitions are primary partitions which allow an unlimited number of logical partitions inside them; the sum of all logical partitions equals the capacity of the extended partition. They are basically containers that allow you to partition the drive more than 4 times. As far as I know, Linux doesn't have much problem booting from a logical partition (unlike Windows).

I don't know anything about LVM so I'll let linux_0 or someone else talk about that if you want to know.
!