adam21

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
Hello,

I just built my new PC (yay!) and I am currently running 32-bit Windows XP on it. I have 4gb of RAM in the system right now, but of course, I am only able to recognize 3gb of it. Therefor, I am going to be upgrading to 64-bit vista, something I have been planning to do since I started making my list of parts.

This will be my first time running a 64-bit OS, so, of course, I have some questions. Probably ones asked pretty often too (at least I hope so, that way I can get some quick answers lol).

Mainly though I just want to know if there is anything I will need to do/modify to get 32-bit programs to run in a 64-bit OS, if that is even needed... or even possible o.0

I am a bit worried about some of the programs and such I use, and I am also still looking for a new, vista 64-bit compatible, wireless-g adapter (if anyone out there knows of one, send me a link or something ^^). I am connected to the internet through a wireless network, so it's a a must for me unfortunately.

So basically, will I be able to run any of my 32-bit programs on a 64-bit vista OS? Ya know, aside from even being able to run them on vista anyway lol. I also do a lot of online gaming; games such as BF2, BF2142, WoW, etc etc ... will there be any problem with running those? I sure hope not lol, that's a deciding factor. (I don't mean problems running them on vista, just if I will have any problems running them on 64-bit.)

One other thing, drivers. I am pretty sure the only drivers I can't get in a 64-bit vista form are my wireless adapter's and printer's. Will I be able to run a 32-bit driver for.. say.. my wireless adapter? on a 64-bit OS? (noob question, right?)

Any help/comments are appreciated =)

Oh, yeah, and my specs are in my signature if ya need 'em.

By and large everything 'just works' on Vista 64. Nothing is usually done by the user to modify the apps or the OS to get 32 bit apps to run. It's automatic. However, some apps will need to be 64 bit to start with. That is to say you will have to DL a 64 bit ver. Most apps do not work this way - you just install the 32 bit version and all is well. Daemon tools needed a 64 bit ver for example and they have one and it works.

There is the odd app here and there which may not run on a 64 bit OS at all. At this point that would be older, off the beaten path stuff but if you have any doubt check with the mfg first.

I have yet to see any issue at all with games and I run a bunch of them.

Vista 64 is a VERY popular choice for high end gamers now, because of the RAM issue. That tells you something right there about how ready 64 bit is for people like us.

As to your wireless adapter, I have not heard of any problems with Vista 64 but just pick one and then check on-line at the manufacturer's website.

Your rig is the same as mine BTW. E6600, 8800 gts, asus p5b deluxe. 6 gig RAM Vista 64 is working flawlessly for me

You'll need Vista 64 versions of your Anti-Virus, Firewall, etc... But by and large apps just work on 64 like they would on XP or Vista 32.

If you're big on shareware, be advised that Vista 64 has a pathological hatred of unsigned/expired digital certificates and will not permit them to operate. If you insist on using the stuff, then you should download the latest Windows SDK. You'll be able to use that to sign them yourself.

I looked on Newegg, and found this for a wireless adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127167 It has excellent ratings, and says Vista "Certified" which means it's (supposed to be) tested as fully functional on both 32 and 64 bit versions.

adam21

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
Awesome, thanks for the replies! =)

I found another adapter that has some 64-bit drivers released too. It's vista ready, which I guess is a plus lol. Reviews on it are great too.

I'm looking forward to the upgrade now =D I might actually go with 8gb or 6gb in the future.

Thanks again!
-Adam

faromic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I installed Vista 64 a while back. It's been smooth except for one issue. There is NO driver for my printer so check this before hand. The manufacturer's website has a Vista 32 driver but no support for 64 bit version. And I can't find a 3rd party driver either and it's an expensive multi function printer.
Verify this first.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006