Sign in with
Your question

Help with Paging File Size

Last response: in Windows XP
December 15, 2007 10:42:06 PM

Right now my PC has 2 HDD, One 120GB(C:,E:)  and One 60GB(D:) . The 120GB is partitioned into 2, 110GB(E:)  and 5GB(C:) . The OS is installed on E:. I have 512+256 pc2700 mem. My paging file is setup as:

C:- 500MB-501MB
D:- 700MB-1000GB

Is this ok? Or should something be changed?

My system seems to be a little sluggish, and I think the paging has something to do with it.
Thanks

More about : paging file size

December 17, 2007 10:10:57 PM

Im only running one hdd with 3 partitions with win 98 2000 xp but my sys only runs one pagefile at a time in unused hdd space.

Im not sure about 2 hdd but I would think that you would only have one pagefile as you only have 1 operating system.

If I read this correctly you have a 5gig partition. I would aim the pagefile there. Its small enough to be used for all things temporary in fact. Ive heard of defragging a page file so why not just delete it at shutdown along with all things temp? eg temp internet files etc

Oddly I turned my pagefile off one day to do something and I havent turned it back on. I havent noticed a difference. I am currently converting a avi. file to dvd while doing this, and that requires some hdd time. Plaese note that I have 1 1/2 gigs memory. 50 dollars well spent. good luck
December 18, 2007 7:21:05 PM

By default your page file should be 1.5x the amount of RAM your computer has. 1GB ram would be 1.5GB page file.
December 18, 2007 9:57:10 PM

Yes, 1.5x of RAM is a good number. So 1024 x 1.5 equals 1536, try that number. Also, try using your D drive for the pagefile (or any drive where your OS is not installed), and the most important thing: Make the pagefile static, not dynamic. That means your minimum and maximum should be 1536. If a program needs more pagefile (a yellow triangle with a "!" will appear in the tray), raise it, but raise both values. Dynamic changes to the pagefile are usually a killer in XP. One last thing: Keep your pagefile in one piece (defragged). You could use the offline defrag of PerfectDisk, but if you need a free solution, try PageDefrag.
!