tweaking xp to get more bandwidth

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Right now, I have a 768/128k verizon internet connection and windows xp home edition. My max upload speed is about 90kbps and my max upload speed is about 15kbps. When I did a google search, I found some sites that stated that Microsoft uses 20% of your bandwidth at any given time and it also gave you some instructions on how to modify your system settings in order to get extra performance. Here is the site that I found.

http://tweak.us/cms/article_XP_Tweaks_Page1.html#qos

Have any of you guys actually done something like this in the past? If so, did it work? Before I start modifying my system settings, I want to make sure that these instructions are the real deal and that they won't destabilize my computer. Any thoughts?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
no no just goto control panel|networkconnections then assuming that you are not on any other network right click on the connection used for the internet |propreties uncheck the qos packet scheduler.
this reply only keeps you from doing what is in your provided link.
The packet scheduler is not needed for the internet only.
Otherwise you must provide more info as to what you were doing at the time as all sites have different speeds. I dont have the link handy but goto dslreports.com and do the speed test

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Since that did not work, what should I do? Should I follow the instructions listed on the website or should I try something else?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
sorry about my previous response.
When I clicked on your post yesterday my browser took me somewhere else.
I would think that turrning it to zero would be the same as off but I dont know.

I would suggest having Verizon come check it out as you are not getting what you are paying for. Maybe online customer service or if it is a laptop take it to a verizon office.

It should work without any modifications they didnt tell you about. After that tweaking is fun if it works.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
Try TCP/Optimizer, adjust your MTU and RWIN settings, and try to find any possible info about your modem. It's nothing magical, but at least you can save your packets from being fragmented. The catch is, if you happen to have a USB modem, you can't do anything about it. Besides, if your connection is 768k and you are downloading at 90KB/s, you are almost at the limit. Theoretical download peak for 768 kbit connections is 96KB/s.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Yah, but my friend also has a 768k connection (from a different provider) and he gets speeds in the triple digit range (has a booster along with the modem).

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
The (cable) service I use has a filter on the pole to limit my bandwidth. The company has four different levels of service. Mine is only 1.5/256 and I hit the limit almost always. I even exceed it in bursts, but I have not been able to consistanly go above that limit. I considered getting better service and was told they would have to send a guy to change the filter for around 30 bucks.
Perhaps you have the same type of setup.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
Some ISPs are using SCE 2000's from Cisco (or similar) to do some packet control. If your ISP is throttling, you have to complain or try to go encrypted. This is more seen in p2p applications like BitTorrent.

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
If your getting 90KB/s(720Kbs) on a 768Kbs connection you should be very happy! Thats over 90% of the advertised speed which is very good. You must also keep in mind that speeds will vary dependng on the test you use and the time of day. If your freind is getting 100+ KB/s he is getting over the advertised 768Kb/s speed which is rare. And those internet booster devices like the Hawking Hbb1 dont increase your bandwith, all they do is prioritize your internet traffic so that time critical trffic such as streaming audio/video or Voip gets priority over less time critical trffic such as downloading/uploading...etc. Its not possible to incrase your bandwith over what your ISP is giving you, if your ISP gives you 768Kb/s youll never get more then that no matter what you tweak.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
not true, my isp connection is a standard pack and it offers 768kb however with tweaking and tuning up the pc most of the time im down loading around 800 to 900 from places like cnet, pcworld, even my isp bandwidth uitility shows Im above the standard upload and download. The trick is tuning up the pc. I could just go ahead and write a long list of stuff that will help anyones pc perform better and in doing so bandwidth is increased but I'm not just becuse
Example is xiti.com is sneakingly adding tracking cookies into peps computers and I do believe that they are using this to steal personal data and bandwitdth, hopefully before long the are busted for stealing this info so why is tomshardware forums using a cheap advertising company thats being sneaky about their info. Why the PUCK does xiti.com deserve the right to track any user. Its BS like that, that makes me mad so I left to my evil ways to deal with the bastages and crash xiti systems until they get the point to ask for permission to use a security policy.