Did I fry my computer memory?

CMBURNS

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I just recently built a computer (see stats below)

Gigabyte DS3 rev 2
e4300 @2.88ghz
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Cooler
Ultra V Series 500watt PSU (Yes, I know its crap)
Foxconn 7600GT 256MB DDR3
2x1gb OCZ Platinum Revision 2 PC2 6400 4-4-4-15
Ultra Mid Tower Case
Vista Business 32bit

I was able to get the computer running stable at 320 MHZ bus speed making the processor run at 2.88 ghz. I can't remember the memory multiplier I used but the memory ran at 800mhz 2.0 volts 4-4-4-15 timings. The system ran mid 30's idle and at 60-65 under TAT load test.

I decided to overclock the memory. I changed the memory multiplier so the memory would clock at 960 MHZ. Save my settings and exited BIOS. The computer tried to restart. When it restarted the 2nd time I figure it would just go back to the default BIOS settings. Instead the computer would not display anything, no BIOS beeps, the power light and fans would run, but nothing else. I figure the motherboard had trouble with the memory at the default settings. I tried booting with one stick of memory, and tried each of the memory slots. Also did the same with the other stick of memory but still no activity except for the power light and the fans running.

I also tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery wait a minute and put it back in. Still got the same power lights and fans running and nothing else.

Did I burn out the memory, or the computer is having trouble with the memory at default settings, or could it be the power supply is the issue even though the fans and power light is working?

Your help would be appreciated.

I just recently built a computer (see stats below)

Gigabyte DS3 rev 2
e4300 @2.88ghz
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Cooler
Ultra V Series 500watt PSU (Yes, I know its crap)
Foxconn 7600GT 256MB DDR3
2x1gb OCZ Platinum Revision 2 PC2 6400 4-4-4-15
Ultra Mid Tower Case
Vista Business 32bit

I was able to get the computer running stable at 320 MHZ bus speed making the processor run at 2.88 ghz. I can't remember the memory multiplier I used but the memory ran at 800mhz 2.0 volts 4-4-4-15 timings. The system ran mid 30's idle and at 60-65 under TAT load test.

I decided to overclock the memory. I changed the memory multiplier so the memory would clock at 960 MHZ. Save my settings and exited BIOS. The computer tried to restart. When it restarted the 2nd time I figure it would just go back to the default BIOS settings. Instead the computer would not display anything, no BIOS beeps, the power light and fans would run, but nothing else. I figure the motherboard had trouble with the memory at the default settings. I tried booting with one stick of memory, and tried each of the memory slots. Also did the same with the other stick of memory but still no activity except for the power light and the fans running.

I also tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery wait a minute and put it back in. Still got the same power lights and fans running and nothing else.

Did I burn out the memory, or the computer is having trouble with the memory at default settings, or could it be the power supply is the issue even though the fans and power light is working?

Your help would be appreciated.

Resetting the CMOS jumper should do the trick. Be sure to unplug the power supply and remove the battery when you reset the CMOS jumper.

sailer

Splendid
If you can, try testing the ram in someone else's computer. If it fails there, you've got a start in what went wrong.

Problem is, there should be beeps, etc concerning the memory. It could well be that the psu went south and the rest is co-incidence. Another possibility is the mobo burned. But if the ram tests good elsewhere, my first suspect would be the psu.

CMBURNS

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I had the memory checked and it was good. Next I purchased another power supply and tested the computer with it. Got the same results as before, power lights and fans went on, but no post. Some how I think the motherboard just died when it tried to reset to the default settings. I only had the system for a week. I will RMA the motherboard back to the retailer.

Thanks for your help.

sailer

Splendid
Ok, since the memory tested good and a different psu didn't help, a burned mobo seems to be it. Hurts when you only had it going a week, but I've found that the first couple weeks of running is when most bad parts reveal themselves. Hope a new mobo solves all the trouble.