What folder (directory) structure do you use under Vista?

DanInPhilly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
The reason I ask is, I'm about to do a new install, and I'm thinking about partitioning the drive so all the Vista folders are in one section and then all my data will have its own drive letter. Right now (under XP) I have the same arrangement (XP stuff in C: and data in D:). I have nothing under c:\Documents and Settings\Dan\ except a few shortcuts to D: folders.

Alternatively, I can start putting everything under c:\users\dan\documents\ which might be faster since Vista (apparently) starts with that folder. But it probably won't look as neat.

TIA, Dan

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
C: V64 boot & critical tools [spindle 0 in ejectable pod]
D: user docs (except admin), noncritical apps [spindle 1]
E: backups of stuff on spindle 0 [spindle 2]
F: library (general repository for software, vids, and pix), also mounted as d:\library [spindle 0]
G: video editing [spindle 1]
H: backups of stuff on spindles other than 0 [spindle 0]
I: my user directory, also mounted as d:\users\(me)\my documents [spindle 3]
X: XP32 boot [spindle 0] - rarely used
Y: swap [spindle 3]
Z: swap [spindle 1]
c:\_MNT\(various): other boot partitions and workspace on other spindles, varies depending on booted OS

DanInPhilly

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Wow. That's more than I need!
One question. If I understand correctly, partition F is on the first physical hard disk (spindle 0). But it is also 'mounted' as d:\library\ .
How did you do that? I would like my D: to be mounted as c:\Documents and Settings\Dan\

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
you can modify drive letter assignments & mountpoints in administrative tools->computer management->disk management; right-click on a partition and select 'change drive letter and paths'