Backing-up and transfering OS and Data from a ATA to SATA Drive.

zentraleinheit

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Been trying all over asking this question, but, I never receive an answer except for using a ATA to SATA converter. BUT, I don't want to ues one. All I want to have a backup as well as a transfer of data. So, please can I just have an yes, no, or maybe answer? Thank You.

I have a Win98 computer that has seen better days.

I want to transfer the HD that contains the Win98 OS/Applications/Files compleatly to a new computer. However, the old dive is a ATA while the new one is a SATA. And neither MB supports the others drive.

My solution is to use a disk image software to "copy" the ATA drive to a DVD (or DVDs) and then copy the DVD (DVDs) to the new computer's SATA drive.

(The new(er) computer already has Windows 7. In this case the HD with the old WIN98 OS/Files would be on a totally seperate HD).

What I want to know is this possible?

zentraleinheit

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
I know all about the various methods of a direct transfering of data from one disk to another, but, I also want a non eraseable "set in stone" backup on what is on the Win98 ATA drive.

Can anyone just please give me a direct answer?

Can I do it the way I spelled it out in my orginal post, or can't I?

zentraleinheit

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Thank You, all I was looking for was a simple answer.

Now, just one more question :eek:

What (freeware) disk imaging software would you say is both good and works on both Win98 and Win7?

dd is not the appropriate tool in this case.

gparted is a partition editor, not an imaging tool.

Clonezilla may work for you. It does have some limitations, such as an inability to restore an image to a drive that's smaller than the original source drive, and does not have the ability to expand an image to fill a larger drive. Both are limitations of the Linux tools used.