Vista crashes during install, need help

I recently custom built a new computer and the first time i installed vista it worked perfectly.. now when i try doing a clean install it gets to a certain point, the computer restarts and i get this error message:

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation"

i don't know what would be different this time around. My system: Gigabyte P35-DS3R (latest bios), Q6600, OCZ 2GB DDR2-800, Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2.

i did some overclocking with the system but i don't see how that could affect it. all my bios settings are at default. Help would be greatly appreciated as im supposed to sell my system tomorow, thats why i'm reformatting.
3 answers Last reply
More about vista crashes install help
  1. It's probably detecting files from the previous installation - What I would do at this point is boot to a c prompt via floppy, CD, or flash drive and format the HDD. Then reinstall.

If you don't have a bootable drive of some sort, you can get a CD here:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
  2. which program should i download from that site, the "MS-DOS Boot Disk"?
  3. ok, flashing the bios to the latest version on my P35-DS3R v2.0 did the trick. after my first OS install i updated the bios but since then another version came out so the F9 version was causing the problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Windows Vista