GJX

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Hello.
When i installed winXP on my new rig, something happened in the middle and the install failed. When i rebooted with windows CD, i re-installed winXP.

What happened is that i had the regular win install on drive C:, and another win XP install on drive D:
I formatted the D: drive, to delete the bad installation.

My problem is that, whenever i start up my computer, just after booting, it brings me to the Operating System Choosing screen, where you need to choose which OS you wanna boot. The first one is the normal windows which i use, the second option im guessing was made with the corrupted installation, and appears even after i formatted drive D:

How do i delete that OS choice, or how do i set the comp to choose the right OS as default or something?

Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Go to msconfig, Boot.ini. They'll be 2 long lines at the bottom starting with multi(0)disk(0) and delete the one for the bad installation, which should be the 2nd but make sure and make a copy of your boot.ini before deleting it.

GJX

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
thank you.
secondly, is there a chance that remnants of the bad installation on the comp, or in the bios, are slowing down the comp?
i formatted the drive on which the bad installation was, anything need to be done in the bios?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you formatted the drive, it should have eliminated most of the residual files so your performance shouldn't be affected. Windows collecst files like garbage collects larvae so there could be a few but again not likely to seriously affect performance

lazzios

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Hmmm..... comp running slow after format. full format of D: i presume. If not please do so now!!!
Run a virus/spyware scanner -- full system scan. If it shows anything please do a full format of c: and do a clean install of XP.

Why did you mention BIOS ???? what did you do EXACTLY?????!!!!