vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
is there a 64bit version of Microsoft Office?....i did see the Vista Software list posted by someone but it does not say if its a 64 bit app or 32 bit it just mentions the compatibility with the Vista 32 or 64. like he had mentioned in his list Winrar 32 & 64, i checked the website & there is no 64bit version of winrar, its so misleading if someone goes by that list.

it did be great if he had posted exclusively for vista 64 (64bit apps & not the compatible ones),

plz help!

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
hi first of all thank you for your responses, one particular reason for having a 64bit version of office is for faster computation in database applications like Excel.

and as for Scotteq's remark 32bit applications (including games) runs under emulated layer in VIsta x64 which results in reduced performance which means we better be looking out for exclusive 64bit application, i read some dated article about microsoft was developing 64bit office which applicaitons like access & excel could take advantage of, but there is no further news to it. nw i have 2 options either to wait until the transition phase is over or settle down for a 32bit OEM VIsta.

thank you all onceagain i really appreciate it

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
hi first of all thank you for your responses, one particular reason for having a 64bit version of office is for faster computation in database applications like Excel.

and as for Scotteq's remark 32bit applications (including games) runs under emulated layer in vista x64 which results in reduced performance so we better be looking out for exclusive 64bit application, i read some dated article about microsoft was developing office on 64bit instructions which applicaitons like access & excel could take advantage of, but there is no further news to it. i hate to squeeze games/apps to run under a different platform. nw i have 2 options either to wait until the transition phase is over or settle down for a 32bit oem vsta while there is absolutely no performance gain by going for a 64 OS now.

thank you all onceagain i really appreciate it

I know this perfomance hit is supposed to exist but the gaming benchmarks in the below link compare vista 32 and 64 on the same equipment and there appears to be no significant difference between 64 and 32.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_nvidia_windows_vista_driver_performance_update/

And in the link below 64 bit actually wins out generally in Vista, running 32 apps or not:

http://64-bit-computers.com/windows-vista-32-bit-vs-64-bit-benchmark.html

I am aware that some other benchmarks show a small performance hit on some 32 apps running under vista 64 but it does seem to be rather a mild hit and you have to weigh that against the fact that some apps are available in 64 bit and they seem to be substantially faster. Windows itself seems faster to me and I really like being able to use 4 gig or more of RAM.

Do you have any office benchmarks 32 vs. 64 Vista? I did a quick Google but didn't see any. I'd be interested in seeing the difference myself.

EDIT: I am a casual office user myself and as much as I like Vista I feel I ought to at least warn you that some benchmarks have shown a performance advantage for XP over Vista in ms office. So if a little extra performance means that much why use Vista at all?