Best OS for Win 98 Compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2012
I have a very old program that is security protected using a dongle-type security device that connects to the parallel port. (I have the dongle.) I would like to be able to use this program using Compatibility Mode in either Windows 7 or Windows XP. Which OS is more likely to work, and/or which will be easier to set up?

BTW, are there ways to bypass or reverse engineer this very old security key so that it is not required any more? Parallel ports are hard to come by these days.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
What about a USB to parallel port adapter? Not sure if it'd do the job but I'd try Win2K, since it has much larger memory support and is far more stable than 9x.

As for bypassing or reverse engineering, you might see if any of the filesharing sites have a disabled version of the app, or contact the company and see if they can do anything for you, they might have a patch themselves. There might also be some sort of hacker tutorials out there that give an example of how to edit an app to remove the hardware check.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

But OP isn't deciding on using any Windows 9x system. Both Windows 7 and XP support parallel ports when done right, but he might have better luck with Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.