Waiting for some reason. WARNING Total Noob

Chombo305

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
As I said, I am a total noob when it comes to computers....I've been piggy backing on my computer genius friends for years and I am wondering if I should wait to buy a computer or not. I have a budget that allows whatever the hell I want, but a couple of my friends say that now is not the time due to bad graphics cards or something. Either way my comp is about to crap out and is lacking in the gaming capability department. Just wondering if any of you had an opinion on whether I should pick up a new one now and if not now why. :)

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
If I had a massive budget I'd wait about a month to build. The new P35-based mobos, which have support for DDR3 memory and Intel's new 45nm chips that run on an 1333mhz FSB, are going to launch soon, as is the new HD2900XT (Well, officially that is. Some are already up for sale).

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
If I had a massive budget I'd wait about a month to build. The new P35-based mobos, which have support for DDR3 memory and Intel's new 45nm chips that run on an 1333mhz FSB, are going to launch soon, as is the new HD2900XT (Well, officially that is. Some are already up for sale).
plain and simple
you just hit the nail in the head

VideoQuasar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I don't think this gentleman has any intention on building his computer. With your budget in mind, may I suggest you check out Falcon-Northwest or Voodoo PC. They are very good at their craft and could set you up nicely. They will even talk to you on the phone with their advice. Let them know you are shopping boutique venders and they will bend over backwards for you.

Agreed. But as to the HD 2900 xt are we really waiting to BUY it or for it's release to spark a price drop from Nvidia? The early benchmarks don't look so great. Certainly if you got the money to spend it is unlikely you will be able to beat the 8800 GTX.