Status
Not open for further replies.

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
When I right-click on the desktop and go to "New"...the New Text Document isn't listed (notepad). I use this QUITE often and really need it back.

Any help is much appreciate!

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
Looks like someone stole your "shellnew" entry for text files. Try diving in the registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, and find the ".txt" extension. Inside that key should be another key called "ShellNew". If it's not there, make one. Now stay over "ShellNew" and make a string called "NullFile". Leave it's value data blank. Restart just in case, and your missing Text Document should return... in theory.

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I have a lot of other programs there which I think is the cause. They pushed it out. How does someone steal that entry (aka do you mean a virus, or humor lol)?

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Actually I looked there. I think I messed up in phrasing my question lol.

If I go to New -> : I have 14 items, no notepad. Is what you said still a fix in this case?

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Anyone ; ;? I am even considering reformatting if I can't get this fixed...and I'm not looking terribly forward to that lol.

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Sorry to necrobump...

For some reason, it didn't work when I did it in the registry. I don't understand why it didn't work...however, I did solve the problem...and maybe it is the same way, but I tried it both ways and this is what worked...

Open a folder and go to Tools > Folder Options...

Under folder options, go to the File Types Tab...click New...enter TXT and click the Advanced Tab. Select Notepad from the Drop-down list and viola!

Thanks for all the help guys. It certainly got me looking in the right direction.

androbro

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
I know this case has been solved, but it happened to me too and this is my solution:

1. Open regedit
2. Go to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt
3. Check the value of key: (Default). If it's empty, then the "New -> Text Document" menu won't show up.
4. The solution is just set the key value to: txtfile.

That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.