Win98 CD burned on WinXP/Vista?

Harry Potter

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I'v been having trouble getting CDs burned on a Windows XP/Vista to work on a Win98 computer. On Vista, I burned using a Mastered format. On both systems, I used a CD-R. The problem is that the process works fine--until I access it on the Win98 system. The Win98 computer can't seem to access the CD. I have a few CD-Rs but want to be able to write and re-write to the CD. The only exception is a copy of Win98SE I recently downloaded from the internet--that can work on a CD-R, but I'm unwilling to waste a CD-R unless I'm sure it'll work. Can anybody help me?

Harry Potter

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

The CD drive in question is not working properly, but it can read old CD-ROMs okay--just not well. The CD-RW seems to work on the WinXP CD drive, but I once tried to burn a broken CD and almost lost some information. Also, I can't as of yet replace the CD drive due to lack of finances. :(

Harry Potter

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012

I am using a CD-RW. I don't want to waste a CD-R on a one-time transfer. I can use iit for a Win98 system disk, though. I'll check it at my next opportunity.

It's not the driver, it's the drive. If the drive is old enough it may very well not be able to read -RW media. The only solution in that case is to replace the drive with a more recent model.