Kubuntu 9.10 Netbook Edition

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
So, last night I installed this distro onto a USB stick and then booted it on my netbook (ASUS EeePC 1005HA) and it was acting really funny. First off, it was ridiculously slow, and most clicks didn't do anything. Also, quite often the screen just stopped showing things. I'm not sure if this is because I'm running through USB or that something is wrong. I'm fairly new to Linux, so if someone could give me some help with this, or even point me in the direction of a quality tutorial that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Ahhh.. you might want to do some reading on using EeePC with 9.10. For the 701 you have to use a custom kernel to get things working well. I'm not fully clear if this is an ASUS or Linux issue but it exists non the less. The ubuntu forums have quite a bit of info on this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/

As far as the performance goes did you install install or create a live stick using unetbootin, if the later then it will be slow. First thing to do though is have a search on the ubuntu forums and take it from there. The performance might well be a symptom of the other issues.

Give us a shout if you need more pointers or help.

Keep the faith, it's worth the effort :)

Ahhh.. you might want to do some reading on using EeePC with 9.10. For the 701 you have to use a custom kernel to get things working well. I'm not fully clear if this is an ASUS or Linux issue but it exists non the less. The ubuntu forums have quite a bit of info on this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/

As far as the performance goes did you install install or create a live stick using unetbootin, if the later then it will be slow. First thing to do though is have a search on the ubuntu forums and take it from there. The performance might well be a symptom of the other issues.

Give us a shout if you need more pointers or help.

Keep the faith, it's worth the effort :)

Solution

linux_0

Splendid
Yes 9.04 is better as JDV28 said :)

Some USB storage devices are super slow and aren't suitable for booting.

You may have better luck with a reasonably good 4GB SDHC card.

Ubuntu 9.04 runs pretty well from a 4GB SDHC card on several EEE PCs I've tried but don't expect miracles USB and SD are usually much slower than hard drives or SSD drives.

Good luck :)

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Thanks a lot. So, just to let you know I've given up on the whole Kubuntu because I couldn't really find enough information, but I did find a blog dedicated to Ubuntu netbook remix specifically on the 1005HA, and that made everything incredibly easy and run smoothly. For now I'm still dual booting XP and UNR, but soon I hope to wipe Windows right off of this machine. Once again, thanks for all the help.