HELP Please!! Power supply cables don't reach!!

Toolman55

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Hello,

I just spent close to $2,000.00 for a new build and the 12v motherboard connector just will not reach. The main 24 pin power cord reaches, but just barely. It is stretched to the max. I really don't like the stress it seems to be putting on things.

Do I solder in some "extensions" to make the 12v longer? Do they have a pre-made "extension" available for something like this (probably a stupid question :oops: )? Or do I RMA this one and get another?

Here are the four components I purchased:
EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
XION Supernova XON-600F14R-201 ATX 600W Certified Power Supply - Retail
SILVERSTONE TJ09-B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

The 12v is at the top of the mobo, and the PSU mounts at the bottom of the case.

Your sugestions on another PSU, if needed, are most welcome. I certainly don't want to go thru this by trial and error. I also need enough power for the Vid card , 2 gigs ram and the E6600 CPU I was so looking forward to powering up this weekend. Oh well.

Again, any thoughts are welcome. Thanks for taking the time.

Don

PS it's going to be an XP Pro system

ibticktock

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
If you haven't placed your order yet here is an alternative: 12" 24 PIN EXTENSION CABLE

This one is 12" long compared to the 6" of the other one. If you are going to do some major cable rerouting you might need a longer length. Also, you didn't say anything about the 4 pin 12 v connector that is in the upper left corner of your MB. That was the one that I hassled the most with (same MB as you and a PSU on the bottom of the case) to avoid running it across the top of my video card. Same place as the first and equally low priced:
12" 4-PIN EXTENSION CABLE FOR ATX 12V CONNECTOR