Which is a better build for price/performance?

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Well i was going to upgrade my GPU at first, but then i thought maybe switch to AMD, but i decided to go with Intel since the Penryns will be using the LGA 775 chipset. I got 2 options and i am asking you all to see which would be better price/performance wise.

OPTION 1:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB OC
2 GB Patriot DDR-2 800Mhz RAM.
MSI P6N SLI Platinum

OPTION 2:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX OC
1 GB Patriot DDR2 800Mhz RAM
MSI P6N SLI Platinum

Price wise at least to my understanding, Option 2 is around $100 more expensive. But based on the 4 day marathon posted here, i started to think that the extra 100 may be worth it.

Any Advice is greatly appreciated. Thnx.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
OPTION 3:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS OC
2 GB Patriot DDR2 800Mhz RAM
MSI P6N SLI Platinum

A bit cheaper than option 1...and after an OC, CPU performance would be nearly identical, the GTS 640MB is much better than the 320MB IMHO (not in all games, but some have huge performance drops with the 320MB version), and has much better longevity. Dropping to 1GB RAM in option 2 rules it out.

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Mostly all around but occasional games. However i like my games to look their best when running.

The problem with Option 3 is that i'm not much into OCing, and ive never done it before.

So based on this, you guys are saying that the 2 GB of RAM is better over the 8800 GTX?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Yes, go for 2 GB for any system except very low end. O/C an Intel is simple as it is to build the system. Pumping it up to next level is a no brainer as it costs nothing to save 10% on price.
GTX is an extreme GPU, helps only on the toughest games, graphics wise at high rez.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
At 1280x1024 resolution the 8800GTS 320Mb will performs about as good as the GTX. And with 2GB then it will outperform the 8800GTX at that resolution on highest quality settings. So I'm going with option 1.

magus_gr

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The rest of the ppl all gave you good replies, all I want to say (just for the record) is that noone knows if Penryn will work with existing s775 motherboards. If the switch to Core 2 is any indication, the chances are that no/very few current motherboards will actually work

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
The rest of the ppl all gave you good replies, all I want to say (just for the record) is that noone knows if Penryn will work with existing s775 motherboards. If the switch to Core 2 is any indication, the chances are that no/very few current motherboards will actually work
Very good point, something I should have mentioned.

chief5286

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
If you want general overall performance, then my advice is to do what the others have said. Buy a better proc and the extra gig of ram.

If you want your games to look their best, for the longest time, get the GTX.

Most graphics intensive games will benefit more from a faster GPU than a faster CPU or more ram. SOME games do see better performance with more ram. Not necessarily in terms of general FPS, but there will be less lag as your system accesses your hard drive.

So, if you want your system to game at a high level for the longest time, go for the better GPU.

I personally think that 1 gig is sufficient, if not optimal. If you do need more ram, you can always drop another gig in later. That, it seems to me, is much less hassle than replacing the GPU (and having to sell you old one, possibly). Then again, a future upgrade of the GPU likely will yield more benefits in the future.

I guess what I'm saying is, it really depends on what you want.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
That is correct that they might also start using the DDR3 at that time, so no MB will work
That does not matter in the slightest, the memory controller and the CPU are completely independant with Intel CPUs right now. That's why you can still buy mobos that support Core2Duo (and even quads) that can use DDR1.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
It does matter if DDR3 use a different slot, like ddr RAM does. The CPU will work in the MB it is designed to work with, no one is sure that will be LGA775 MB.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
It does matter if DDR3 use a different slot, like ddr RAM does. The CPU will work in the MB it is designed to work with, no one is sure that will be LGA775 MB.
Yes, but the OP clearly says he is concerned with being able to perform a CPU upgrade later....not a RAM upgrade. :roll:
He is tring to build a system right now...WITH DDR2, that will be compatable with the new CPU's when they come out...the problem is Intel has not committed to making the new CPU's 100% backwards compatable with Core2Duo mobos.....DDR3 has nothin to do with it!

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Which is exactly what I said in the second sentence. TRue DDR3 might not be in the equation, that is just one of the things that will be coming in the future.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
That is correct that they might also start using the DDR3 at that time, so no MB will work
This statement made it sound like no current motherboard would work, FOR SURE. I just want to make it clear that this is not necessarily the case. What we do know is - Current motherboards may....or may not work with the Penryn/Kuma when they are released. We do not know for sure.