Sign in with
Your question

Do logitech g500 gaming mouse work in ubuntu 9.10?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 15, 2010 10:57:42 AM

Hi.

Somhow i can not find out if the logitech g500 gaming mouse work in ubuntu 9.10, have anyone tested it there ?

If, do all buttons work and the mouse wheel and such ?
January 15, 2010 7:40:53 PM

It'll work as a mouse and left, right the wheel and paste will work but the rest of the buttons are very unlikely to work out of the box.

The extra buttons on my logitech didn't work automatically on my Linux computers but I've never tried it on ubuntu 9.10.

Good luck :) 
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2010 10:22:01 AM

Thank you very much for your reply, im gonna give it a go.

A side note is that i think its pretty bad that they neither make drivers for it nor was able to anwser my question in their support department, given the companys size .
Related resources
January 16, 2010 10:23:56 PM

I once had a Linux developer call me when I worked in Broadband support, man was he not expecting to find anyone that had heard of Linux, let alone somebody that had read up on multi card configs on Fresco!

Don't forget we are a minority...
January 17, 2010 1:32:22 AM

In some sectors Linux, *BSD and OSS users aren't a minority but rather a sometimes silent, often ignored majority. :) 
January 17, 2010 9:13:26 AM

Does AA count as a valid user base then?
January 17, 2010 11:51:20 AM

Are you implying that Linux users are all Affluents?
January 18, 2010 6:51:38 PM

No, we all know we're just old fashioned god darn commie conspirators hell bent on destroying one of Americas finest companies. Now where did I leave that bottle of buckfast...??

(I know I could have been kind and linked that one but any true Affluent should know of it already)
February 4, 2010 6:27:06 AM

I got this for my Linux box. I used a virtual machine with Windblows on it to program macros into each of the buttons and configure the settings. The macros make a button push do something the keyboard would do (like ctrl+left for back) Since the macros are stored on the mouse, the special buttons can be given key combinations to do what you want in Linux. Also, for gaming, most games just report mouse button presses as Button1, Button2, etcetera. So, unprogramed buttons can be set in your games specificly for that game. This worked for me in Urban Terror on a previous mouse with extra buttons.
July 8, 2010 1:19:05 AM

I have it working under OpenSuse 11.2 and I can program all eight of the buttons using btnx-config. This package is available from www.ollisalonen.com/btnx. Having said this, at the time of this post, the site appears to be inaccessible; however, I was able to obtain rpms (both src and executables) for btnx and btnx-config (you must have both packages) from:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=btnx&project=home%3Apbleser%3AHardware

and

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=btnx-config&project=home%3Apbleser%3AHardware

You can find an article on this at:

http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/126295

The fact that the version of btnx-config is older than that of btnx from the above rpms did not cause a problem for me.

-=> Gregg <=-
07Jul2010

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 28, 2010 10:01:58 PM

gsl1 said:
I have it working under OpenSuse 11.2 and I can program all eight of the buttons using btnx-config.

I am not the original poster, but I am considering to buy a G500, too.

Are you able to switch between DPI modes? And if yes, how many modes are there?

I am currently using a G5, and i can switch between 3 modes with GNU/Linux without any special configuration. Using the logitech driver under windows makes it possible to use 5 different modes, all with a user-configurable resolution.

thanks
August 1, 2010 2:52:19 AM

Quote:
I am not the original poster, but I am considering to buy a G500, too.

Are you able to switch between DPI modes? And if yes, how many modes are there?

I am currently using a G5, and i can switch between 3 modes with GNU/Linux without any special configuration. Using the logitech driver under windows makes it possible to use 5 different modes, all with a user-configurable resolution.

thanks

I have the 3 selectable DPI settings available on the mouse itself and no more. It is however possible to change the mouse acceleration under the KDE Personal System Settings under the Advanced tab, if you are looking to fine tune the available 3 settings.
!