Direct Digital Filing – direct to NAS?

Tags:
  • Western Digital
  • Hewlett Packard
  • NAS / RAID
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
June 22, 2007 9:59:41 AM

I have a HP L7780 all-in-one ‘printer’ that has a neat feature called Direct Digital Filing. I set up a shared folder on a PC, create a link to the share (simply \\pcname\sharename) in the L7780, press a button and it scans the document and sends a pdf to the folder. Neat!

However I’d really like to be able to ‘file’ directly to my Western Digital Netcenter NAS, so that other family members can use the facility if I’m not around.

When I set up the link to \\wd-netcenter\sharename the L7780 displays the error “Cannot write to \\wd-netcenter\sharename - disk may be full or folder is write protected.”
I can write to the share from a PC, no problem.

I’ve tried all the obvious thing – there are no user names or passwords, but I created some and tried that too. I used IP addresses rather than names – still no good. Security is turned off. Disabled all the firewalls etc.

I did try emailing WD support (twice) but no response.

It’s trying to work – if I try to scan when the Netcenter has powered down, then it recognises it’s being called and it spins up, but then I get the error message.

Can anyone help - or am I trying to do something that's not possible?

More about : direct digital filing direct nas

June 22, 2007 3:47:23 PM

I'd suggest you try mapping a drive letter on a PC (eg F:)  to a shared folder on the NAS. Then, have the scanner save files to, say, \\mypc1\g\

Of course, this does require mypc1 to be turned on for it to work.

I'm guessing the reason it's not directly saving to your NAS is that it's using some protocol that the NAS doesn't directly recognize. Piping it through a PC as I described might take care of that problem.
June 22, 2007 9:52:52 PM

Quote:
I'd suggest you try mapping a drive letter on a PC (eg F:)  to a shared folder on the NAS. Then, have the scanner save files to, say, \\mypc1\g\

Of course, this does require mypc1 to be turned on for it to work.

Thanks - I guess that might work but the aim is to try to get it to work when mypc1 (in fact my laptop) isn't present.
Quote:

I'm guessing the reason it's not directly saving to your NAS is that it's using some protocol that the NAS doesn't directly recognize. Piping it through a PC as I described might take care of that problem.

I'm thinking that too, or perhaps there just the intelligence in the 2 devices to enable them to communicate with a PC controlling the process?
September 20, 2007 3:46:46 AM

Did you ever find a sloution to this issue? I have the exact same issue using a SimpleTech NAS. I contacted HP support and they told me that they didn't think that a NAS share is supported. They thougt that the share needed to be a shared windows folder.
I was hoping to find someone who figured out how to make this work wth a NAS share.
!